science room tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yikes...I think I'll sit on the sidelines here and just keep up with the thread.

Same here. You'd think, being an educator, that emphasis would be of great importance in promoting quality of life while demonstrating the nitrogen cycle. There is enough death as is let alone in advocating it.

Perhaps you can improve upon the methodology, as others have stated, and focus or at least extend the project towards physical and behavioral differences in the livestock as the nitrogen cycle affects them...could even spill into a conservation awareness project later on. Just throwing out some ideas :)

yeah i kinda knew a bta was an anemone too. anywho, i have her class tomoro so ill print out the fishless cycling thing as im doin my homework. ugh. and i have to leave for hockey in 15 mins whch will last a few hours so chances are i wont be abel to make my weekly trip to the lfs today. maybe tomoro =[.

Same here. You'd think, being an educator, that emphasis would be of great importance in promoting quality of life while demonstrating the nitrogen cycle. There is enough death as is let alone in advocating it. ...

Agree with ya, but in her defense... there are still tons of fish stores out there that promote cycling a tank with fish. In fact, there are some that say using a fishless cycle, or using fish food, will "poison" your tank. Giving her the benefit of the doubt, perhaps one of these LFS is her source of info, or she has a lesson plan that's a bit outdated.

Shoot... "reference" books can even get things wrong. I was just looking over an encylopedia of sorts of my daughter's the other night. It was talking about anemones and how they can divide. To prove its point, it showed a colony of Goniopora! :bandit:

Shoot... "reference" books can even get things wrong. I was just looking over an encylopedia of sorts of my daughter's the other night. It was talking about anemones and how they can divide. To prove its point, it showed a colony of Goniopora! :bandit:

^lol^
i think it was one of those things where she read a list and thought that she could just go and throw everything in. ive been to the store she went to and when they dont even ask about your tank at all, he was wonderin if i wanted a CUC when i was a few days into the cycle.

took some notes on the tank today while i was in the class.
the skunk cleaner shrimp is a gonner. supposably, one of the anemones killed and ate it(cant really see that). the anemones by the way, are not lookin that great, major color loss and they look much smaller and just bad now. the fish seem to be ok but who knows. i think she mail ordered them cuz they arent that good looking, very pale orange instead of vibrant. she says that the tank is a 28 gal but it looks like much less, i guess-measured it and did some math and i came up with around 15 gallons.

i kno it sux to have to watch it but she needs to learn her lesson i guess. ill drop the sheets off tomoro. any thoughts on the anemone killing the shrimp?

Is she testing for ammonia? That's probably what got the shrimp, or poor acclimation.
You should have her join the site.

they tested all of the stuff today but i never got a chance to look at the result chart. but my main thing was that she said that the anemone was hungry enough to kill the shrimp and eat it.

I think this is a dead post at this point. Either have "her" join or we can lock this thread, since there is no real point in keeping it open.

Have you asked her to join the site? If not, this is just a post to watch other people's misery. I don't see any relevance in it any more. As you can see, most of the other experienced folks have backed off and not made any comments, because this is literally a "dead" issue.
Either have her join the site (it's free) or PM her my email address and I'll talk with her or there is nothing anyone (unfortunately) here can do.
I am not trying to be mean or harsh, but I am not going to sit back and watch this thread on misery.

Back
Top Bottom