Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-18-2008, 04:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
science room tank

okay, so we have a fish tank in our science room to learn about the nitrogen cycle. (which should be cake 4 me now). but anyways the tank is pretty much brand new, the rocks aren't cured, the tank isn't cycled. anyways yesterday she picked up 2 clowns(false perc or true perc?), 2 anemones, and a cleaner shrimp. wow. im pretty sure shes new to this. its a 28 gal tank with like a 4 inch live sand bed and what looks to be about 20 pounds or so of live rock. there is almost no flow and the lights are pc i think. theres a heater and a hob filter. idk about you but i dont the tank will do too great. i guess we'll see. oh yeah, and the anemones: i want to find out what type they are, they have about a 3 inch wide disc with very short, stubby, frilly tentacles on the outside border part. (sea anemones???)
Thanks, and ill keep you updated on the progress.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoCkEyGmC View Post
okay, so we have a fish tank in our science room to learn about the nitrogen cycle. (which should be cake 4 me now). but anyways the tank is pretty much brand new, the rocks aren't cured, the tank isn't cycled. anyways yesterday she picked up 2 clowns(false perc or true perc?), 2 anemones, and a cleaner shrimp. wow. im pretty sure shes new to this. its a 28 gal tank with like a 4 inch live sand bed and what looks to be about 20 pounds or so of live rock. there is almost no flow and the lights are pc i think. theres a heater and a hob filter. idk about you but i dont the tank will do too great. i guess we'll see. oh yeah, and the anemones: i want to find out what type they are, they have about a 3 inch wide disc with very short, stubby, frilly tentacles on the outside border part. (sea anemones???)
Thanks, and ill keep you updated on the progress.

Edit: mods, can u please change the name of this thread, i cant type today. thanks!
Can you post pics of what is in the tank? This will help greatly in indentifying the anemones.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anemones will most likely die off first as the tank cycles, then pretty much nuke the tank as they decompose.

Sooo... is this a high school? College? Have you suggested that they may learn more than what they're expecting?!
Old 09-18-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I changed the thread title.
I agree with Kurt. They are about to learn a very distressing lesson.
Have you read up on a fishless cycle?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I believe it is the teacher who needs to read up. Assuming that this was the teacher's brilliant idea.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How about printing up the article on 'fishless cycling' and leave it on her desk? Maybe you could direct her to this site for some info? I hate the idea of the critters having to suffer through that. Can you mention to her that you have a sw tank and would be happy to help her out?
Old 09-18-2008, 04:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes, Roka64 has a link in his sig for an excellent article on fish less cycling. Check it out.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yea its the teacher. i kinda figured that the anemones would pollute the tank. and i cant get a pic for now cuz i dont have that class until tuesday. ill try to find it in google. but yeah, before when the tank was just sand water and rock, i was emailing her and she said that she was getting some critters for the tank. i reasonably thought that she meant some hermits or some snails or something. but i guess not. well ill keep ya posted.
EDIT: anemone
Old 09-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is this a college or high school class? (for Kurt and others)
Old 09-18-2008, 05:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

highschool

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com