Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2010, 09:05 AM   #11
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
There are lots of articles about AWT on Reef Central. Their testing methods and results are very questionable.

AWT site:www.reefcentral.com - Google Search

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Several companies have changed their formula since that study came out.
It really needs to be annually and using a mass spec to get truly accurate results for all parameters.

Ray, there is a reason for letting sw mix for overnight or 24 hours before using. There are 60? - 75?+ different chemicals in dry form in a salt mix. These take time to stabilize in solution. The Red Sea Coral Pro salt I use mixes clear in less than 30 minutes. But, I believe there are chemical reactions still taking place that could be caustic to corals, inverts, even the gills of fish.

But, it appears to be working for you with that particular brand, so have it.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
Several companies have changed their formula since that study came out.
It really needs to be annually and using a mass spec to get truly accurate results for all parameters.

Ray, there is a reason for letting sw mix for overnight or 24 hours before using. There are 60? - 75?+ different chemicals in dry form in a salt mix. These take time to stabilize in solution. The Red Sea Coral Pro salt I use mixes clear in less than 30 minutes. But, I believe there are chemical reactions still taking place that could be caustic to corals, inverts, even the gills of fish.

But, it appears to be working for you with that particular brand, so have it.
You forgot a letter, it's Ryan. The ESV has all of the parts which take 24-hours to properly mix up in a already dissolved liquid solution. That is why it only needs to be mixed for 10-minutes. Basically, all the stuff that needs to be mixed for hours is already mixed for you.
I just found this, it is directly from the company ESV:
"Many all dry blends take excessive time to completely dissolve. Addition of newly mixed batches to the aquarium can cause irritation to inhabitants upon exposure to non-dissolved salt micro-particles.

Solution:
B-Ionic® Seawater System avoids this problem by providing all of the slower dissolving ingredients in a pre-dissolved solution form. Batches can be used within 10 minutes of preparation with no adverse effects providing initial RO and/or DI water contains sufficient dissolved oxygen."
Old 12-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
none of them are consistent. even if they are all mixed just as they say, shipping will separate the larger and smaller particles and you'll have differences per water change.
this is why i use a different brand each time. what one lacks, the other will make up for....hopefully. but then it's a guess, just like you guys are doing!
Old 12-11-2010, 05:27 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
none of them are consistent. even if they are all mixed just as they say, shipping will separate the larger and smaller particles and you'll have differences per water change.
this is why i use a different brand each time. what one lacks, the other will make up for....hopefully. but then it's a guess, just like you guys are doing!
I was thinking the same thing,....looking at all those specs sure is confusing
Old 12-12-2010, 12:26 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
You have never tried ESV B-Ionic then. There is nothing to get separated during shipping. That part comes in liquid form. It is consistent all 5-times I have purchased it.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:56 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryshark View Post
You have never tried ESV B-Ionic then.
no, i haven't. i was referring to the pdf file in the beginning of the thread.
i have tried gettanked aquarium's "salt water correct" salt, which is basically the same principle, and found it to be consistent.
"Bulk Reef Supplies-Organic 2 Part Aquaculture Sea Salt, Calcium is separate from the mix"
Old 12-12-2010, 01:01 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
no, i haven't. i was referring to the pdf file in the beginning of the thread.
i have tried gettanked aquarium's "salt water correct" salt, which is basically the same principle, and found it to be consistent.
"Bulk Reef Supplies-Organic 2 Part Aquaculture Sea Salt, Calcium is separate from the mix"
I wasn't aware of that salt, but it looks to be more expensive than ESV, without the name behind it.
Thanks for the link, later on I'm going to see how their prices are on GFO, GAC and DI Resin, compared to bulkreefsupply.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

if you buy the larger bags, it's cheaper. at least it used to be. i haven't had the need for any in a while.
that guy gary who owns gettanked came to my "store" and dropped off a bunch of samples for me to hand out to customers. he lives a couple hours away. he's "good peeps".

Tags
salt, test

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com