Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-01-2006, 09:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Scooter Blennie

Hello everyone, and Happy New Year!
I am new to this forum and hope to get some good advice for my pair of Scooter Blennies who are obviously in love, and lately, the female is getting chubby...
I am thinking of making an attempt to raise the fry, if I can find where the eggs will be laid. I searched for articles on this topic and found few on breeding blennies, but none on Scooter Blennies. Not sure if I should assume that all blennies behave the same or if the fry should be raised the same for all bleniidae. I am looking for some advice from anyone who as successfully (and affordably) raised Scooter Blennie fry from eggs.
Ok, here's some info from an article I found (for Bumblebee Blennie):
They left the eggs with the male for 4 days before transporting them to a 5 gal containing acriflavine. The eggs almost imediately hatched after the move. They raised the fry on greenwater, vinegar eels, microworms, and eventually live baby brine.
I have never bred anything before and don't know if this is sound advice or not. Is there anything missing, or another way of doing this?
Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scooter_blenies_011__2_.jpg (24.7 KB, 184 views)

GinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 03:42 PM   #2
Welcome to AA.com

As far as helping you with the process I don't have much to offer as I have never attempted this myself but instead or looking for "blennies" in general, target your search to a more like species, ie.. mandarin fish.

Old 01-01-2006, 06:22 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Welcome to AA Wish you luck on your endeavor.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 08:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
Thanks to you both! I just read that article you provided, Steve, and it looks like the person was unsuccessful, as there was 100% fatality after 3 days.

However, I will take your advice and keep looking.

This afternoon I went shopping for refugium supplies and spent $200 on equipment, live rock, live sand, some Chaetomorpha Algae, also known as Spaghetti Algae; added a lot of water and sand from my other tank, etc. It's cycling now, but don't think it'll be ready for my fry. We'll see - I don't know what else to do or even when my blennie will be ready to lay her eggs. So if I don't find any answers, I'll be winging it.

If anyone is interested, I could keep you posted if anything happens.

GinaD is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com