Scooter Blenny question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ricky@3rdshift

Aquarium Advice Regular
I checked out a new to me fish store about an hour away from my house yesterday. he had scooter blennies in stock. they were very cool looking in person. Pics do not do them justice imo. The way they move makes them way beter.

I want to add one to my tank, and upon asking a few questions about them the guy tells me i don't neeed one yet b/c my tank isn't Mature enough to handle one. It should be at a minimum of 1 year so there are organisms that it can eat living in the sand and such.

Is he BS'ing me or is there some truth to this? this is the 1st time I have actually had a store tell me no you need to wait so it was a shock i guess. The LFS always tells me oh you need this or that and maybe one of these. Go ahead and grab some of those too ya know.

Your LFS did good. 1 year might be excessive but at least they were not willing to sell you something that will starve in your tank.

Scooter Blenny's aren't really blennys....they are similar to mandarins and most of them will not accept fish food. They eat copepods and it takes some time to build up a population of pods.

This info tells me where I should look into buying fish from. Its an hour drive there and an hour back , but the selection and knowledge was unreal compared to the local guys.
Ricky

Sounds like you found a good lfs to buy livestock from. Use an insulated box or styrofoam container for the trip back from the lsf and don't buy too much at once.

he had a great selection or everything. Some of the corals were a litle pricy imo, but his selection of fish and prices on them were awesome.

Back
Top Bottom