Advice taken..I've gone a different route and decided to "do it right" if you will.
I got a brand new 29g Aqueon tank, old one had some scratches and I wasn't digging the oak look. Also went ahead and got a stand at PetSmart, one that fits..wait for it...a 10g sump!
And of course reversed my plans to using a 10g sump and having a 5.5g quarantine/frag tank. I transferred over all my rock/sand from my old 29g into the new tank today, and since the water transfer happened in 5g buckets..some water murkiness occurred.
I will be using the old stand to hold my 5.5g quarantine and all my aquarium equipment, kind of a "work bench".
I also got some more Lexan acrylic and plenty of sched.40 PVC
and all the elbows I need plus a ball valve. Tomorrow I plan on getting a clamp on light bulb fixture and using my GE Silicone 1 to create the baffles in the 10g. Luckily the 5.5g was good practice for the baffles, definitely a learning experience, but I saw exactly how the bubble trap and whatnot works. Quite nifty.
For a return pump I will be using a Rio 1700 with 3/4" PVC
for the return line, and the sump will be using 1" pvc
Here's a pic of how things sit tonight..so tired of running around and getting all this stuff. Hopefully I start the baffle-creation tomorrow so it can dry and maybe get the sump up and running by Wednesday.
Quite the journey it's been..