scratches in glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickschabener

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When I cleaned the glass of my new (used) tank I noticed some scratches. Will small scratches become unnoticeable when I fill the tank with water?

If not, is there a way to remove them before I fill the tank?

Thanks

If you are starting a saltwater tank, before too long there will be too much other stuff on the glass that will be more noticeable than scratches. (pink coraline algae, hair algae if you're unlucky, misc snails....) Right now I have a limpet snail boring a hole in the tank.... :)

Most small scrathes disappear when you fill the tank. I would invest in a good magnet to avoid as many scratches as possible. Be careful when u fill the tank not to scratch it when you clean close to the bottom (near sand bed)

notmuffy said:
If you are starting a saltwater tank, before too long there will be too much other stuff on the glass that will be more noticeable than scratches. (pink coraline algae, hair algae if you're unlucky, misc snails....) Right now I have a limpet snail boring a hole in the tank.... :)

Is that a joke or do they really bore through the glass? 8O

well, it's a joke, but limpet snails do have teeth and could definitely do damage to an acrylic aquarium.

I have lots of scratches on my used tank, they were caused by a brillo brush, the previous owner was a moron and scrubbed the glass with a very harsh pad, so i have millions of swril marks, but after I filled it up with water, it looks a lot better, but not as good as i would like it but hey, i got a really good deal so i shouldnt complain. Anyway, i invested in a scratch removal kit for glass, it would work but it takes about 4 - 5 hours of rubbing and back breaking work to remove a 3inch by 3inch square of scratches on glass. I say its not worth it. If you fill it with water the scratches almost disappear. Good luck.

I couldn't find a scrath remove kit for glass, only for acrylic? If it takes that long like you said it really isn't worth it I guess.

actully the scratches come in handy for me. I can only see them when the algea in my tank is starting to grow so I clean the glass when I can see them :)

Back
Top Bottom