SCWD w/ what pump? HELP PLZ!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrcowboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Currently I have 50gal SW reef tank. I definitly want to go with a SCWD but I'm having trouble deciding on a pump. I was told the Rio14HF would be ok by my lsf. But after reading some threads Rio doesn't sound like a trust worthy brand. I'm looking at a mag now but I don't know if I should go with a mag 9.5 or the mag 12.

Keep in mind its for a 50gal

So my question is Rio or Mag?

If Mag the 9.5 or the 12?

If Rio the Rio14hf or the 17hf?

Will this be enough circulation in my tank? Or should I get a power head in my main tank?

Will the pump be submerged? I've read that mags are prone to leaks so they aren't a good idea externally but are fine submerged.

You'll want a total of 500-1000gph recirculation. Keep in mind that the SCWD and piping will reduce the flow of your pump a little.

i have had goodluck with my rainbow quiet one 3000 so far. very quiet and seems to power the SCWD with lots of power. i am using it externally but it can be submerged. i think they make a bigger model. seems like a nice pump though. and according to the manufacture specs head height does not affect the GPH rate unless you go the max, which i thik is like 8 feet. not sure about the 8 foot number though

steve r

No rios with the SCWD. They will meet an early death! If it were my tank i would go with a mag 12.

Gatorfreak said:
Will the pump be submerged? I've read that mags are prone to leaks so they aren't a good idea externally but are fine submerged.

I have not heard this. I would say the Mag 9.5 When I put my Mag 7 on my SCWD I saw approx 30% drop in flow rate. Note this was not that scientific of a test as it was using a stopwatch and I was holding the SCWD at approx 5' head and timed how longit took to empty a 5gal bucket of water.

The link above would be more accurate as its put out by the makers of teh SCWD. Either way there is going to be loss and its almost impossible to have to much flow for the tank. (Note: it is possible ot have to much flow for your overflow so make sure you dont oversize the pump to much and cause your pump to outproduce your overflows drain.)

The mags are very brittle in the front cover area and the stress of PVC plumbing can cause the front cover to leak or crack. I do not recomend you run them externally.

I've been asked 5 different people and most said to go with the mag. So I'm prolly going to go with the mag 12 thanks for ur help!

Back
Top Bottom