sea anemone laceration :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paglaum22

Aquarium Advice Regular
Last night my BTA overstretched himself and a part of his base was lacerated. I released the other end that was attached to a rock and he curled. I waited I thought he's gonna die, until now he's still surviving though he looks weak. Hope he'll survive :(
He didn't grab the table shrimp that I offered him this morning...will I continue to monitor him?

IMG_1649.jpg

Paglaum22 said:
Last night my BTA overstretched himself and a part of his base was lacerated. I released the other end that was attached to a rock and he curled. I waited I thought he's gonna die, until now he's still surviving though he looks weak. Hope he'll survive :(
He didn't grab the table shrimp that I offered him this morning...will I continue to monitor him?

Overstretched?

Just fyi if the foot is damaged 99% of the time the nem will not survive. Keep an eye so it doesnt nuke your tank.

the other end of the foot was at the bottom and the other end was on the opposite rock near the surface, and the one's on the bottom gave in...will I isolate him? what's your suggestion? he's still on the rock and color didn't change...still hosting the 2 clownfish..

Anemones can split maybe that is what your's is doing.

when they split do they become two? that didn't happened with him. The part of the foot which was connected to the base was almost completely cut, I just released it from the bottom thinking he can still recover....if the nem gets injured like this will they instantly die? as what I've said it's been 24 hours now.

IME they will die within the first day after the injury. Maybe yours will survive. Good luck!

Oh my, hopefully, thanks...he's been a survivor, I placed him in when my tank was still a week old, and he'll be turning one month on the 3rd of this month..

I think itll survive. Ive seen youtube videos where people intentionally slice their BTAs to clone them. I had one that deflated to a few days before it died and yours still looks way better than mine did.

I think itll survive. Ive seen youtube videos where people intentionally slice their BTAs to clone them. I had one that deflated to a few days before it died and yours still looks way better than mine did.

I've seen that, too. They cut the nem in half and they survived, that was actually my inspiration for this. I know he's injured and healing because he stayed on that rock which he usually stay below that where he can spread himself to get full benefit of the light and he didn't grab the slice of shrimp and it was time for him to be fed..hopefully he'll survive, I know he's really healthy and he's hosting both of my percula..:ermm:

LaWoWee said:

Those videos are how to propagate nems, which involves slicing them cleanly through the mouth, and is not always successful. A torn foot is a far more grave an injury. If the nem stays attached over the next few days then its likely the damage was not severe enough or did not damage vital tissue.

Those videos are how to propagate nems, which involves slicing them cleanly through the mouth, and is not always successful. A torn foot is a far more grave an injury. If the nem stays attached over the next few days then its likely the damage was not severe enough or did not damage vital tissue.

Yah I guess it's internal organs weren't damage, for now he's stuck there part of the body is suspended below that rock and tentacles still looking healthy, never changed in color.. :) I'm positive but still watchful, thanks guys..

I have a long tentical that made its way into a pump half of its tenticals and a quarter of its foot were completely mangled. I figured it to b dead by the way it looked but it survived. It didn't take food for two weeks and it seems like the clown that's hosting it nursed it back to health that was 8 months ago and I've had it for 3 1/2 years now

I have a long tentical that made its way into a pump half of its tenticals and a quarter of its foot were completely mangled. I figured it to b dead by the way it looked but it survived. It didn't take food for two weeks and it seems like the clown that's hosting it nursed it back to health that was 8 months ago and I've had it for 3 1/2 years now

Good for you..that's even worse, mine should be ok. It's not easy to get another nem and acclimatize them and secondly I already had my corals fixed. I usually put them first then let them wander wherever they wanna go, and once they've found their spot, put the corals in. Secondly, not easy either to have a new nem to host a clownfish esp hosting 2 clownfishes at the same time.

He seemed to be deflated on daytime, dark green in color but inflated at night time, I could still see his gaping wound when he curls on daytime...

image-1779231766.jpg

This is the gaping wound but today since I slept last night he was inflated and healthy looking only he had the wound plugged on the rock and the borders of the wound look healing :)

Back
Top Bottom