Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-23-2003, 11:09 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone ever used the synthetic anemones?I never knew about these until i found them doing a search the other day.They seem to be a little high priced but are they an alternitive?I just added 2 clowns to my tank and was ready to get an anemone until i read this thread.I did not realize that anemones were that hard to take care of.Thanks for the info

hawksview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 11:46 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have never used the fake ones, but have read a few stories of clowns hosting in them, how often or easy this is I can't even guess.

I find it somewhat wrong also, to completely veer people away from experiencing something they might have great success with. Works for some and doesn't work for others..This is the beauty of a hobby right?
With mortality rates in the upper 90% for not even reaching a year in captivity, personally I find it hard to do anything but veer people away, especially those new in the hobby. Without a clear understanding of their proper husbandry yet, I would just prefer they stay in the ocean until their chances improve (especially through collection and shipping) to where they at least have a glimmer of hope for survival, and an opportunity for captive propagation without such a strain on the wild population.

I understand your "works for some, doesn't work for others" viewpoint, but I feel the failure rate throws the comparison far out of balance. And even though it is a "hobby" and I use the term very often myself, we are still dealing with living animals here.

Just my viewpoint, and I tend to be more conservative. Obviously, some people do have to try and keep anemones in order to unlock their needs, but in my experience those keeping them in earnest is a relatively small percentage compared to the many I see and speak with that buy one with a clownfish thinking they "need" it.

HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 11:51 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had an anemone for nearly 2 years. Not sure what kind it is Ive been told a corn silk. It started to decline when I started to get lazy and didnt feed it. Now I feed it two or three times a week with a large variety of frozen foods, it is doing well. It has devided twice. The bigest problem I have seen is anemone's move areound if there not happy. When they move they sting everything they touch, and they usualy win the stinging war. So far, mine has stayed in one spot for about a year now. It is buddys with a gold striped marron clown.

On the other hand Prior to that I had a standard percula and it was buddies with the annenomie and every corral (especialy frogspawn) in the tank except my plate corral. So if you want to play it safe buy the clown and see how he does in with the corrals first. It may take a while befor he get into being there buddies.
Mistertalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 11:56 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The only reason I have a bubble tip anenome is because I have someone local who has had them for several years and has had them split several times in his tanks. He gave me a small one with the understanding that if it did not do well in my tank he would take it back.

If I did not have the option of him taking it back I probably would not have taken it in the first place.
Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 04:15 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to sokhamik
hehe.. although i argue on the side of hoops, i have a carpet anemone.. i bought it from a local fish store that sold it for 10 dollars.. i bought it because i knew that the store only had one or two customers.. and one of them is me.. if i'd left it there in the store, then it would've died because they don't really specialize in saltwater.. they just buy it from left-over wholesales or something like that.. and that is the story why i got mines.. after i had bought it is when i read somewhere that 90 percent die in aquarium use.. but i couldn't do anything about it.. it's doing okay.. it has found a spot and has been there for a while now.. i feed it 2-3 times a week also...
sokhamik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 06:00 PM   #16
Most of the problems I have heard of, is lack of knowing what to do, or to feed to keep them healthy. I have talked to people that are staunch against owning them because they die, only to have them say "you mean I was supposed to feed it?" The majority of people I talk to about anemones in LFS's, think that all anemones live off of their own zooxanthellae an dthus don't need to be fed, or are told to feed them target foods which in fact kill them...It is a shame really, but, I feed mine raw shrimp and fish and give them as much TLC I can, and I pass along that info when I can, to hopefully help those who already have them...

anenome, sea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com