Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2003, 11:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

sea anenome

I want to buy a clown fish and i thought it might be a good idea to introduce a sea anenome. There is two things I need to know.

1. is 1, 40watt blue actinic and 1, 40 watt 50/50 (this is what is currently in my tank) enough light to support an anenome.

2. How exactly do you care for one?

Thanks

Rich

Old 07-22-2003, 11:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would avoid an anenome if possible. The clownfish do not need one and most are captive breed now. Anenomes are hard to care for and placing them in a tank cuts their life span down from 100's of years to maybe 1 year if you are lucky.

Old 07-22-2003, 11:49 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
You can get a clown but PLEASE do not get an anenome.

Clowns do NOT need an anenome.

The lights you suggest are not anywhere close to what is needed to support an anenome. Think about how bright the sun is and thats what you need for proper anenome lighting.

Anenome's require very good quality water, and extreme lighting. I would not suggest one till your tank has matured at least 1 year and still would only suggest possibly getting one if you had the lights to support it and the ananome was tank rased vs wild caught.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 05:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to sokhamik
all the above is true... and i've read somewhere that some clowns never take to an anemone..
Old 07-22-2003, 07:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to pufferman
Clowns may be hardy but anemones are definitely not, they are difficult to take care of may harm fish in your tank with the stinging and are very delicate. They should only be in the hands of the most experienced hobbyist.
Tank Specs as of December 29, 2005:Ammonia:0;Nitrite: 0;Nitrate=0;Cu:0
PH: 8.3
SG: 1.028;Temp: 79-84 degrees F (Adjusts throughout the day)
pufferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 10:06 PM   #6

I will add to this thread to take somewhat a different view.

In speaking from personal experience, I have not had an anemone die yet, that wasn't sucked up in a powerhead. I believe they are very cool creatures. I have 4 different breeds within my tank, and all are thriving. I am not saying that what I have and the success so far, will work for anyone else, but hey, it's working for me. I do have a good amount of lighting, and the tank is mature. Clownfish are beautiful fish, and though most say they do not need an anemone to host, I believe it to be false. I can't think of anything more un-natural than a tank with a clown, and nothing for it to form a symbiotic relationship with. They will however, take to certain soft corals such as xenia, ricordia mushrooms, leathers, etc.. and use them as a host. Most, (and I respect their decisions), disagree with using anemones in tanks merely because they are scarcely tank raised and you would be getting them wild caught and thus deminishing reef life...This is to be respected. I bought mine before thinking coherently .

I have a Tomato Clown and I think he is cool, after buying a Carpet Anemone, he has decided to use my Florida Ricordia Mushrooms as a host and is quite happy. So, I think the hypothesis is, yes Clowns do need something to form a symbiotic relationship in, whether it be an Anemone or a Coral of some sort.

And to further that, I think it is man's decision to say that Clowns do not need a host. It was deemed by mother nature that they do this, and no matter how much you breed them in tanks, they still have that instinct. It does not get bred out of them. Think of it as animals in captivity such as a Lion. Yes, they were wild caught, bred in captivity, and even though raised by humans, they will still gain a taste for our butts and eat us if given half a chance. Instinct does not get bred out. It is alive and well. Why do you think they keep them in zoos, and not sell them as pets after all these years of captive breeding. So in closing, IMO, to say that one of mother natures creatures does not need what it was designed to be with, it proposterous and un-natural.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:56 PM   #7

Moved to General Discussion out of Fish Only
Old 07-22-2003, 11:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
So in closing, IMO, to say that one of mother natures creatures does not need what it was designed to be with, it proposterous and un-natural.
Clownfish developed a symbioses with anemones in the wild in order to survive. Without their protection, their awkward and sluggish swimming would leave them little chance for survival. Without this natural predation in our tanks, there is certainly no "NEED" for this relationship in the manner that "mother nature" intended. By taking up to something in a tank, they are just displaying there natural behavior for wanting some form of cover, they are not an open swimmer of the reef!

This can be anything though, from a mushroom to a powerhead. Thus, IMO, without this danger it is not wise to promote or encourage the keeping of anemones when as a whole they are doing so poorly in captivity. Even with your 4 that are so far that seem to be doing fine, have you considered how many (most likely multitudes of that 4) that died in collection, shipping, and in the holding tanks at your LFS? This is the problem. With that said I hope your luck continues, although I know that your experience is not shared by the great number of hobbyiests trying these animals .
Old 07-22-2003, 11:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Most, (and I respect their decisions), disagree with using anemones in tanks merely because they are scarcely tank raised and you would be getting them wild caught and thus deminishing reef life...This is to be respected.
No debate really to be said... I think I stated clearly my opinions. I do not advocate the use of anemones exclusively, fact is, that they will host to many things..and yes I know people who have had anemones over 3 years in captivity, and it is easier these days to keep them. Most die simply because of the way they are harvested, and then starve to death, or to misguided care. I tried to find tank raised, but to be honest, they are almost impossible to find... I find it somewhat wrong also, to completely veer people away from experiencing something they might have great success with. Works for some and doesn't work for others..This is the beauty of a hobby right?
Old 07-23-2003, 01:52 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to sokhamik
i agree with hoops.. i was just going to say that they create that relationship to survive, but hoops already said it..

Tags
anenome, sea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com