Sea Apple

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cathyjane

Aquarium Advice Activist
As an addendum to my previous post, I also purchased a Sea Apple. From what I've read they are micro feeders similar to my Red Flame Scallop. Does anyone have any experience with these critters. They are really bizarre looking creatures. Thanks for any advice!

Yes, I have experience with them. They need to be fed often, mine ate meaty little pieces of shrimp, clam, scallops. If they die, they WILL poison your tank. If fish nibble or pick on it, it will get upset, expell its stomach contents and POISON your tank....unless you have a large tank that can sustain the toxicity, it will usually kill everything. Fish, inverts etc. so...if you keep it, dont let it get annoyed.

Really, I understood that they were micro feeders? Will they eat brine shrimp?

I have a yellow tang, a tomato clown, a six line wrasse, a engineer goby and 3 neon velvet damsels. Do you think any of these will upset the sea apple?

brine shrimp is really smaller than what mine ate..as far as your fish, you never know what makes them decide to start "picking" at something.

So would it eat meaty pieces of shrimp you would buy at the store by hand? Or frozen scallops cut up?

OK, I just happen to have some frozen scallop in the freezer, I'll try feeding it some tomorrow. Do you use a turkey baster type to feed it? And you said it eats often. How often?

i would mush up the seafood and pour in the tank, but i was feeding alot. you could mash it up with a fork or blender and use the turkey baster, that would work well, be sure to use the juice too. I fed mine twice a day until it was eating well, then once a day.

OK, I really, really appreciate the advice!!! I'll try feeding him as suggested! I've noticed in the short time that I've had him that his tentacles(?) come in & out quite often. Is this a good thing?

I've also noticed that he is sensitive to people walking buy the tank, is this possible or just my imagination?

Back
Top Bottom