Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2004, 07:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
Sea Cucumber

LFS had a Sea Apple and a Pink cucumber today. I studied both for some time and have always wanted a Sea apple so I went to the register to buy it. Luckily there were other customers ahead of me and I had time to think about it and decided to wait.

After careful research on the internet it appears to me that Sea Apples are not a good purchase for an aquarium. Has anyone had any experience with one? They are incredible creatures and I would really like to have one, but not at the expense of my tank.

If the apple isnt an option how about a pink? Hes was almost as interesting, but if hes gonna hide in the back of the tank then I would rather save the real estate for something else.

Old 06-30-2004, 08:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sea Apples will decimate your tank if they die. I would pass.

Old 06-30-2004, 08:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

i have a sea cucumber and is hiding all the time and is hard to find in live rocks because i got the one that is kind of brownish and look really like alg. on top of the live rock.
60 gal s/w tank - 1 adult koran angel, 1 yellow tang, , 10 blue leg hermit crab, 15 snail, , 1 tri-bar damsel, 1 chocolate star fish, 20 blue legs hermit, 20 snails, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 blue damsel, 1 citron goby, and 1 dragon goby
Fuvibo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 08:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I had one of the brownish with orange spikes types of cucumber.
After some research, I found in The Conscientious Marine Aquarist, that no matter what kind of sea cucumber, they can expel their innards in defense and kill everything in your tank. (not that it happens to everyone, but the risk is always there)
The book basically said they are not worth having no matter what, unless it is a species only tank.
Needless to say, I removed the cucumber from my tank with fish in it.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
From what I've heard all cucumbers can go nuclear. The amount of damage done to your tank will depend on the cucumber, what size, how big your tank is etc.. I would def stay away from the sea apples. Even if your water is perfect when/if they release sperm/eggs that can kill everything in your tank.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:47 PM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal-188
Even if your water is perfect when/if they release sperm/eggs that can kill everything in your tank.
Been there , I would definately avoid the Sea apple. That said though what jamal suggests on the cukes is very true. It really depends on what you get.

If you do decide to get one be sure the tank has had a good year to mature. They primarily consume foods by injesting the sand. If the tank is still too young they could easily starve. I would also not recommend one for a smaller tank.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-30-2004, 11:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Looks like Ill be visiting them at the pet store....

Thanks guys
Old 07-01-2004, 05:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I may already have a sea cucumber in my tank!!! I thought for over a week that it was the bottom of a brittle star that hitched a ride in my lr, but upon further examination it has feeding appendages coming out of an opening just like a sea cucumber!! Its a nondiscript bownish gray color. I tried to take a picture, but cant get my camera to focus on it.

Any clues as to what it might be?
Old 07-01-2004, 06:49 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I have a sea cucumber from my LR order, and he's a stationary filter feeder. Also, the basic brown. He's in my gallery.

Tags
cuc, sea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com