Sea Hare dangerous to tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
They these really cute looking sea hares at my LFS today. I thought I remember seeing somewhere that they can release a toxin that will kill all tankmates kind of like a sea cucumber but I wasn't 100% sure and the kid working there said it wasn't true. However I don't trust the word on anybody that works there so I thought I'd ask the real experts :wink:

I am not sure if they can nuke your tank, but I do know they only eat hair algae, if you do not have an abundance in your tank....it will eventually starve. If I did have a hair algae problem, I would consider getting with my friends and just agree when the sea hare finished on one tank....he would be given to someone else with a hair algae problem.

If I did have a hair algae problem, I would consider getting with my friends and just agree when the sea hare finished on one tank....he would be given to someone else with a hair algae problem
Yeah mine has definetly made a major difference in my tank with the Hair Algae.. Awesome cleanup guy lol

James

had two what ipsf calls sea bunnies and one managed to just get its head stuck in the screen that the cpr over flows comewith after cutting the screen to get him out it started to leak out purple ink looking stuff but was still movin left him in by morning it was dead and half gone the pods were all over it !! left it there for the pods and didnt have a prob as far as water quality or deaths (prob not the best idea but ?!?!?) of other live stock !! the 2nd one got eatin buy my stone crab that dug under the tank divider and caught him !! but great algae eaters !!

Well I guess it's probably not a good idea if they only eat hair algae considering I dont' have any in my 110g. They won't eat any other types of greens? They are such cute little critters but I don't want one to starve to death 8O

Back
Top Bottom