Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My son does partial water changes bi weekly. It is a 28 gallon tank and he probably changes 4-5 gallons each time. I know there is never a guarantee something won't get eaten, but I'm hoping to generate some additional answers on what may have gone wrong so I can make a somewhat intelligent, educated decision.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:15 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is about 10% wc change I would recommend doing that weekly Are you using RO water? Green hair algae is feed by nitrates and phosphates in some cases it will use up all the nitrates and phosphates in your water to feed giving you the 0 readings that you are getting you might try using a nitrate sponge

Old 05-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #13

Thanks for the advice! Will ask him (lol, nicely... as he LOVES doing my water changes for me) to do it once a week. Yes, we buy RO water and I had never heard what you said about the hair algae eating up the phos/nitrates and leaving a 0 reading. What can I do about that other than more often water changes and a nitrate sponge (which I also never heard of...where do I get one of those)? Appreciate the help!
Old 05-22-2011, 06:38 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have a sump? If so maybe put some type of macroalgae in there that absorbs nitrates (I have chaeto in mine) A foxface fish is supposed to eat it also a lettuce nudibranch which puts you in the same place deciding on if you want to replace your sea hare I have even heard of people spending time to take rocks out and scrub them clean with a toothbrush I dont know if this is possible to do in your situation
Most of your lfs will have a nitrate/phosphate sponge
Old 05-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #15

no

sump...this is a biocube that is open on top with a light fixture on legs on the top. I've had the lettuce nudis before...they are much smaller so could try them. Never heard of a foxface eating it...could try that, too. I would LOVE to take the rock out and scrub it and considered doing that when I had a bad outbreak of red cyno, but the problem is with the hair algae, it is attached to the rocks the anemone and killer clown are stuck to so I'm afraid if I dislodge the anemone, it won't go back to the spot it's been since day one. The other rocks that have bits and pieces of it have attached polyps and I'd hate to chance losing my corals. BTW...have you ever seen the teal/aqua looking feather algae before? I'm struggling to get rid of bits and pieces of that, too...

Thanks for info on nitrate sponge, etc., I will check it out.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not real familiar with the feather algae I think that is similiar to or aka caulerpa If it is I had a small amount in one of my tanks and was told it was fine as long as it didnt go "sexual" releasing toxins in the water and turning it cloudy I didnt want to risk it so I tried picking with not much luck so I ended up just taking the rock it was on out

Tags
anemone, hare, sea, sea hare

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com