Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Sea hares

So I have fallen in love with sea hares and would love to have one in my 55 reef. I was just curious if anybody has had any experiences with them? I know that they can expel toxins and since I run carbon I didn't think it would be a problem. Just looking for people who have had personal experience with them.

TmeLrd11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
I had one for like 2.5 years. It was a basic one, nothing fancy but he was pretty awesome. Named him Bob and he was with me thru 3 tank transfers. From what I hear from LFS's is that they dont last long usually due to filtration eating them up. You have to cover your powerheads and anything that can hurt them cause they move around quite a bit. lol Mine never inked my tank, even when i touched him to move him. One day Bob just didn't come out and was never seen again. I had no nuking of my tank when he died either. He was a great critter and I feel I got alot out of him since he was so neat and lasted so long for me. Your mileage may vary tho, not many people can keep them more than a few months.

180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Haven't heard of them expelling toxins, I tried them three times, and none of them made it. They eat hair algae, so it's great if you have any of that. I didn't have enough to keep them going I figured out.
125 malawi cichlid, 110 Discus, 75 reef, 30 reef, 27 reef, 4 planted
herp_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com