Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-16-2016, 08:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Sea horses

Looking for some advice on setting up a new tank. I do have a tank now and have had it up for 2 years. Looking to see if anybody has some advice for size and other flush that would go good with them.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

gilly69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Interesting question.

I too am interested to know if anyone on here has any experience with raising Sea Horses. I wanted to put some in my tank so badly, but from what I have read they should not be put in a reef tank... Which instantly shot down my hopes of having any.

Good luck, can't wait to hear about how this goes for you!

- Disney Matt

Check out the journey to my 60 gallon reef tank! http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...nk-347141.html
DisneyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Sea horses

They need to be kept species only as they are tricky to feed and wil lose out to faster fish species. They need holds or mounts, usually a type of Marco alage or anything they can wrap thier tail around. They also usually eat all live food such as baby brine. Now I don't know about corals, I would think they would be fine with corals like acans or blastos but I don't know.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/12/fish2 this right here is a really good read about them
36 gallon fresh water

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
I'm not an expert but have read a little because k would like to have them some day. I Second the species only tank, but they can be with pipe fish and I think one or two other slow fish but I forget which ones. They can be stung by corals and anemones which can lead to infection. Non stinging corals may be okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Sand dollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
They cannot be kept with pipefish. Pipefish carry a communicable disease that seahorses can get.
chefbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:03 AM   #6
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Melosu58`s seahorse diary

Here is a diary with my experience with them.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

sea, sea horse

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com