Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-24-2005, 06:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sea Horses

Does anyone keep sea horses?

My daughter saw one at the LFS and has been begging almost non-stop to get one.

Old 05-24-2005, 07:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sea horses are EXTREMELY delicate and basically require their own tank. They are slow eaters, and will eventually starve if left with hardy eaters. They also require less water movement, which is tough for other fish out there that like turbulent waters.

I'll eventually have a sea horse tank... but not till I master SW for the most part.

Check out http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=40 for some info. They're not impossible at all to keep... but maybe not for the average beginner

Old 05-24-2005, 07:18 PM   #3
zacdl

The LFS sells them and keeps them in a normal SW setting with other fish.

I dont know HOW they feed them (thats the hardest part, most seahorses starve)

I guess I could ask the next time im there.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
the LFS here keeps them in a seperate tank. Most people turn the pumps and filters off and target feed them so they have a better chance of catching some food. They are hard to keep but im sure once you have done it for a little while it wouldnt be too bad. I would probably keep them in a tank by themselves. Less likely to get picked on by other fish and have a better chance for survival. Plus they are cool fish alone.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:02 AM   #5

http://www.seahorse.org/library/arti...horseFoods.php
Old 05-25-2005, 01:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacdl
The LFS sells them and keeps them in a normal SW setting with other fish.

I dont know HOW they feed them (thats the hardest part, most seahorses starve)

I guess I could ask the next time im there.
Your LFS won't have a seahorse in a few week, =/ sadly it will starve or stress to death.
unless by normal fish you mean mandarin or any kind of small goby.These are all peaceful fishes which is ok to go with seahorse.Maybe even a tang will be able to stay in the tank since they are not agressive towards other fish.
I have a pipefish tank which pretty close to seahorse.They do eat really slowly and require extreemly high level of care. Btw I would not suggest you buy it just for your daughter,because if it died too soon, you girl might get really upset which might happen 60-70% of the time if you are new to seahorse. Just let her know seahorse are meant to live in the ocean =).
oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 03:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Your LFS won't have a seahorse in a few week, =/ sadly it will starve or stress to death.
Sadly, someone will likely buy Seahorses, then the Seahorses will die in the new owner's tank after the owner gets bad information from the LFS. Seahorses are a good example of when a LFS can be more concerned with the sale than with the fish. Very few people know how to appropriately keep a Seahorse alive, but they sell very easily...

There is one LFS that I go to sells Seahorses, but refuses to sell them to people without appropriate setups that do not understand what is needed. She fed them the other day when I was there, very pretty creatures...

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 03:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

My LF store says twice a day feedings are a must for seahorses. I can barley fit in once a day. Good luck in your discission.

Don't take life too seriously, No one gets out alive.
Scatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 03:28 PM   #9
zacdl

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyf709
unless by normal fish you mean mandarin or any kind of small goby.These are all peaceful fishes which is ok to go with seahorse.Maybe even a tang will be able to stay in the tank since they are not agressive towards other fish.
I have a pipefish tank which pretty close to seahorse.They do eat really slowly and require extreemly high level of care. Btw I would not suggest you buy it just for your daughter,because if it died too soon, you girl might get really upset which might happen 60-70% of the time if you are new to seahorse. Just let her know seahorse are meant to live in the ocean =).

They have had those in there for 3 weeks. I forgot to ask how they fed them when I was there to get my Coral Beauty
Old 05-25-2005, 05:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the info!

i was just curious to hear other people impressions of them.

My daughter is accustomed to not getting what she wants in daddy's aquarium. She understands that some things die or get eaten when put in the same tank as other fish. If it was feasible, it would have been nice to do, but you cant always get everything you want.

Anyway, thanks again. I love the forum!

Tags
sea, sea horse

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com