sea-horses in mushroom tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sw-addict

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just realized the other day that I no longer have a fish only system with lionfish and triggers. Now we have a reef tank and we were wondering if we can have a few sea-horses in our tank with the tangs and dragonette?

IMO, seahorses should be in a dedicated species tank. They are far to slow and clumsy at feeding that it may be hard to get them enough food in addition to the potential aggression from other fish.

The onlt thing that I worry about is agression from the tangs. Water turnover is not a problem unless they float on the suface of the water and I have enough pods for two madarins and can supliment food with baby brine or buy live adult brine at lfs if need be. It all comes down to the tangs would they be agressive to something not their color, shape or size?

Seahorses are difficult to keep in a species specific tank. So, IMO, I definitly wouldn't add them to a tank with fish. Also, they need things to anchor themselves to so they don't exhaust theirselves fighting water currents.

As has been noted, seahorses should be in a species specific tank, without competition from other species of fish. The only other fish I might put with them is pipefish.

For more specific info on seahorses and pipefish...

http://www.seahorse.org/

The onlt thing that I worry about is agression from the tangs. Water turnover is not a problem unless they float on the suface of the water and I have enough pods for two madarins and can supliment food with baby brine or buy live adult brine at lfs if need be. It all comes down to the tangs would they be agressive to something not their color, shape or size?

It is more than just aggression. Being poor swimmers, seahorses need low water flow...but also excellent filtration and no tankmates that can outcompete them for food. They don't have true stomachs, thus they have to eat quite often.

This is what makes them so difficult, and goes against the higher flow environment required for your other livestock.

Back
Top Bottom