Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2004, 12:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sea Pen (Cavernularia obesa)

my lfs has one of these and liked it but wasnt sure if my lighting would be enough for these !! these look like xenias which i have an are doing great under 4x65 pc and 2x40 no's !! but reading that these have to be placed in the sand is why i wonder if my lighting would be enough for them on the bottom of the tank !! any comments would be gggggrrreeeeeatttttt !!

Old 01-04-2004, 02:33 PM   #2
steve-s

Cavernularia obesa is not a photosynthetic coral so the lights are not a concern. This sea pen is a filter feeder and a great candidate for blender mush. Keep up the feedings a few times a week to keep them healthy...

EDIT: Forgot to include a link for you... Sea Pens

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-04-2004, 02:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

cool thanks steve one last ? i thought of !! i know they have a foot so when i get it do i burry it in the sand or let it do itself ?!?! just thinkin my current will move him for sure if i didnt burry its foot !!
Old 01-04-2004, 06:09 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Yes I would bury the foot, or at least provide a hole of it

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 07:35 PM   #5
steve-s

Agreed with Kevin. They will also have a tendancey to wander even if you try to secure the foot. Don't be suprised if you wake up one morning and it's moved to the other side of the tank.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-05-2004, 04:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have read these are very hard to keep. Is that true??
Old 01-05-2004, 04:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

im guessing that they would be for food due to steve-s saying that they really dont need light !! but i feed all my inverts dt's so id think it would do the trick
Old 01-05-2004, 05:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Steve, let me ask you this... I stopped feeding DT & Marine snow ( which I learned is mostly water ) because I use Reeflady's blend. I see so much float off in the way of cloudy liquid, I assumed they are all getting plenty? Am I off on this??
Old 01-05-2004, 05:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

well i have alot of mixed feeling on that blender mush my self !! and prob never use it !! due to i think its alot of wasted food and alot of liquid that the skimmer is gonna have to pull out !! also have read that dt's is the best filter feeder food out there !! as long as it smells like the ocean and not ya skimmer cup hehehe !! is it true who knows but i value bob fenners opinion on alot of these issues which leads to the blender mush and all the liquid waste !! if ya used a fine brine net to strain the frozen food out then imo ya all good but to thaw out the food and drop it in the tank i dont know !! now yea a year or so ago any frozen food id thaw and dump right in but now even mysis i thaw then strain then soak in vitamins!! all other animals i target feed the best i can !! i think its more what works for you and what ya comfortable doing !!
Old 01-05-2004, 06:11 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I see so much float off in the way of cloudy liquid, I assumed they are all getting plenty? Am I off on this??
The liquid is there to feed your corals, of course some is wasted, just like anything else you feed to your tank. DT's is also often wasted and results in algae blooms. There is alot of debate about how much DT's actually benefits your filter feeding corals, most of them are carnivores, not herbivores and phytoplankton is algae, not meat However, the pods and critters in the tank will eat the phyto and it keeps them healthy and reproducing and the by product is zooplankton, which your corals will eat.

Quote:
but i value bob fenners opinion on alot of these issues
So do I, but keep in mind opinions change and no one is perfect, I have on more than one occasion found references where he contradicts himself

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com