Sea urchin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends on what kind you wanting and what kind of tank you're running. Got a 75 gallon reef tank with 50 gallon sump and have two urchins in it. A pink pincushion and a needle spine (I think is what it's called) rock boring urchin. So far they're doing fine. Had them for almost 6 months. Been supplementing calcium and algae for them. They also eat coraline algae

Plan on doing FOWLR, as of right now, no intentions on corals. But like a pincushion urchin would be ok?

He would be fine I think. But they require a mature tank. If you're just about to start a tank, I would wait on them. They require a stable environment. Sudden spikes and swings on water parameters can cause death since they are very sensitive creatures.

Yea, I don't plan on doing anything sooner than should be done. Thanks for the help. What are your thoughts in the flame scallop?

Pretty creatures but hard to keep. They would hide at the back of your rock works and stay there for the remainder of their life. Very picky eaters as well. Food needs to be available at most time or else they would start starving. They require good water parameters as well. They have short life span in a closed system since there is very little info known about them. Have one of them in my tank for 6 months now and can barely see them since they went to the back of my rock work. I check on him from time to time with a flash light and so far he's thriving.

I don't think so. Serpent stars will spend moct of their time at the bottom. They're scavengers and mostly eat meaty foods. As long as their not overly huge I think you'll be fine IMO

I have had a black spiny in my tank for 7-8 years, so not sure about the short life span. They do hide all day and come out at nite.

I have had a black spiny in my tank for 7-8 years, so not sure about the short life span. They do hide all day and come out at nite.

I think for short life span he meant the flame scallop but could be wrong. Urchins are awesome but I do believe my tank it two small for one.

Best of luck with your set up :)

Leonardo7689 said:
Pretty creatures but hard to keep. They would hide at the back of your rock works and stay there for the remainder of their life. Very picky eaters as well. Food needs to be available at most time or else they would start starving. They require good water parameters as well. They have short life span in a closed system since there is very little info known about them. Have one of them in my tank for 6 months now and can barely see them since they went to the back of my rock work. I check on him from time to time with a flash light and so far he's thriving.

I was actually referring to the flame scallop

Back
Top Bottom