Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-20-2011, 11:20 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by nxb161 View Post
Anyone have any experience to back up

I have urchins in my tanks, I think they're neat. I'd avoid the black spiny urchin, it quickly grows large and those spikes hurt. The collector urchin can be a pain because it'll pick things up and move them. I like them myself, just another neat thing to watch in the tank
Pencil Urchin Eating my LR!! - The Reef Tank I don't think they actually eat it more like it gets peeled up when it eats near the silicon. I research everything to death before getting anything since most anything in a SW tank is taken out of the wild.

joy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:26 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If someone is worried about an urchin eating all their coraline algae I just don't think that'll happen. On the other hand there is always risk with everything we put in the tank. 9 people can buy the same urchin and everything is ok, but another person gets that urchin and watch out.... such is life.

nxb161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:33 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i have seen many urchins eat coralline algae. my friend had a long spined urchin in his tank for a couple years and his rock always looked like he just put it in the tank- pure white. once he removed it, it turned purple over time.

i don't really see the big deal about coralline algae anyway. folks are always stating things like "coralline is the sign of a healthy tank", or coralline covered rocks won't allow any nuisance algae to grow on them", both of which are untrue. actually, it's just another component that uses up available calcium as far as i'm concerned. something i'd rather have available for my corals.
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Exactly, I had a long spined that didn't really touch the coralline algae at all, really depends on the urchin, and what other food sources may be available.
I wish I could train an urchin to eat all the coralline off my glass for me!

nxb161 is offline   Reply With Quote

chi, sea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com