Sea Weed = Nitrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readingexcalibur

Aquarium Advice Addict
My foxface has a horrible habit of ripping the sea weed off the clip and dragging it to the power head on purpose. Then he laughs as it gets sucked in, chopped into many bits, and scattered around the tank. My lion and eel slaps themselves in the face and everyone is like, "really!!" while mister foxface smirks across the tank with his little pudgy lips.

Anyhow, does all this sea weed that gets sucked in my sump and lingers turn into nitrates? I don't believe it's organic in the sense of meat breaking down into ammonia. But I don't really know.

I have been wondering the same thing because my fox is the same way!! Lol he ripps it off the clip and it flies around the tank, doesnt get chopped up though. I dont think it produces any nitrates because it all does get eaten.... Not sure...

What would it become then once decomposed lol think about this it feeds off of nitrates so why wouldn't it break down to it like everything else...this is if it dies and decomposed though and doesn't continue to grow

I think he's talking about seaweed sheets for food, but yes, if it breaks down it will turn into nitrates. Its the same if the fish eats it and poops it out lol.

Yeah, it is sea weed sheets. I thought it was mostly fiber based. I really don't know what I thought lol

Readingexcalibur said:
My foxface has a horrible habit of ripping the sea weed off the clip and dragging it to the power head on purpose. Then he laughs as it gets sucked in, chopped into many bits, and scattered around the tank. My lion and eel slaps themselves in the face and everyone is like, "really!!" while mister foxface smirks across the tank with his little pudgy lips.

Anyhow, does all this sea weed that gets sucked in my sump and lingers turn into nitrates? I don't believe it's organic in the sense of meat breaking down into ammonia. But I don't really know.

Idk but I love your narration. I thought I was the only one who narrates my fishes lololol

Plant decomposition does in fact lead back to ammonia. Ammonification happens to both plants and animals albeit with some differences in the processes.

Back
Top Bottom