seachem calcium killer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sw-addict

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have tried to dose this seachem reef calcium two times now. The first time I used it according to the label(my mistake) resulting in killing my entire fish population. I had to change out 45% of my water to get it back to normal. Now I have tried giving it another shot at 25% recomended levels resulting in cloudy water and my flower pots hiding under substrate. Both times my water parameters were excelent with zeros in nitrate,amonia,nitrite a p.h. of 8.2 calcium at 330ppm alk. 19.6dkh
After 6 hours nitrate at 80, amonia at 50,p.h. 7.4 and worst of all calcium dropped to 250ppm. Now that I try it again bleak results
nitrate up to 40, and calcium down 50 ppm in just 10 hrs. What is it with this crap did I get a bad bottle or is it just garbage

A calcium additive shouldn't affect ammonia or nitrates levels. If you had such disasterous results the first time, don't add it again. For starters, an alkalinity of 19.6 dkh is off the scale and is contributing to the low calcium.
Just out of curiousity, where does your water come from, tap or RO/DI. Have you tested your freshly made SW for pH, calcium and alk? I would recommend you add a calcium chloride supplement like Kent's Turbo calcium to bring up the Ca levels and this should also get the alk. back in line. Test daily while doing the adjustments to be sure you are within params. Once you get the numbers back to normal (Ca=380-450ppm and alk 7-11dkh) then go with a balanced Ca/Alk supplement to keep the two in check. Also, make sure your test kits are not outdated and are accurate. Be sure that your fresh SW is giving you proper Ca and Alk and correct as necessary before water changes.
Also, read this article...you are in zone 3..
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

Actually I have been kinda leary about using my Seachem Reef Complete.. I had somewhat of the same experience when I dosed my tank.. Not with Ammonia and such but with things Dying pretty wierdly.. I was planning on contacting Seachem on Monday as I realized that Might have been the Issue with My deaths of a few items in my tank.. I have heard of Kent mislabeling a product and it killing some poor guys entire tank.. Kent paid him half his estimated Value for Livestock but still..

James

jackdp- My water is tap water I have not tested it for calcium or alk. but I will start and correct before water changes once everything is balanced.
Also took your advice and bought kents tubo calcium, read the article and found the calculator for dosing it

cj10488 I'm somewhat happy to hear that someone other then me has noticed the same thing, allthough I am sorry at the same time. Keep me posted on reply from seachem.

thanks alot guys :)

Back
Top Bottom