Seachem Garlic Guard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madstyle1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is this even worth getting? Ive gotten mix reviews on them. Is garlic really good source to prevent diseases?

Garlic is actually harmful to fish and doesn't do anything against disease.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Because people are wholly convinced by anecdotal evidence that it does do something, despite a lot of scientific research done to that shows otherwise. And if people will buy it, companies will sell it.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The claim in that the garlic attracts the fish to the food and entices them to eat it. I personally have found that if I mix garlic guard in with shrimp it makes my fish spit it out rather than eat it but others have found that when their fish wont eat it helps.

Garlic does induce feeding it's about all it does do with a sick fish if you can keep it feeding it has more of a chance of living.

When I use to carp fish I had all my boilies made with garlic in them and always out fished most people on the lake ;)

There is some evidence that garlic is an immune system booster. Nothing that is concrete and scientifically proven though. The homeopathic market for humans has grown obscenely large and people are associating that with fish health as well. Soon they will be feeding their fish cranberry pills.

At least this homeopathic medicine can only harm your dating prospects if you take it. I wonder if it stinks to the fish as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

At least this homeopathic medicine can only harm your dating prospects if you take it. I wonder if it stinks to the fish as well?

Except that garlic is touted as a treatment for disease in fish much the same way melafix / pimafix is. This leads to fish deaths due to marketing.

Ever watch late night tv? We can't even reign in quackery aimed at humans, much less our fish. I never regarded garlic as anything but a possible appetite stimulant, anything more is suspect for sure.

I think the real problem is that garlic can cause serious health problems in fish- marine fish were not meant to digest lipids from terrestrial plants. Consumption of garlic can cause heart and liver problems in marine fish.

Back
Top Bottom