Seachem MultiTest: Copper NO reading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aztlan

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys, I just purched the Seachem MultiTest: Copper. I have already dosed my 10g Quarantine tank with 2 ml of Cupramine. I have been testing the water and I get no reading, Water is still clear no hint of blue.

Here is how I ran the test.

1. added level scoop of copper reagent 1 to test plate.
2. filled pippette to base of bulb with water fom QT tank.
3. put pippette water in test cavity of test plate and stirred.
4 added 2 drops of Copper Reagent 2 and stirred.
waited for like 30 minutes no reading.

Also did the reference test for the kit no reading as well. I did use 3 drops of copper reagent on step 4.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Aztlan said:
Here is how I ran the test.

1. added level scoop of copper reagent 1 to test plate.
2. filled pippette to base of bulb with water fom QT tank.
3. put pippette water in test cavity of test plate and stirred.
4 added 2 drops of Copper Reagent 2 and stirred.
waited for like 30 minutes no reading.
Seachem said:
Instructions
1. Using the supplied spoon, add one level measure of Copper Reagent 1 to a cavity of the test
plate.
2. Fill sample pipette to base of bulb and dispense to a test cavity of the test plate. Repeat, adding
to same cavity
. Stir briefly with straight end of spoon. It is normal for not all powder to dissolve. If
testing chelated copper, let sit 25 minutes before proceeding to Step 3 (Cupramine™ is not
chelated).
3. Add 2 drops of Copper Reagent 2, stir briefly with straight end of spoon.
4. Compare color to color chart after 5–10 minutes.
5. Promptly dispose of completed test solutions by rinsing test cavity under running water. If the test
plate becomes stained, soak or clean with a dilute bleach cleaner, then rinse well.
Two possible problems. You only used ½ amount of water from the QT tank and the sample was left to sit too long before a comparisson. If there was not enough sample from the QT, your copper test will only be measuring a weak sample. Was there any color change any time throughout the process?

Also did the reference test for the kit no reading as well.
If you used the reference sample properly and there was no result there is a very good chance the regents are faulty or expired. Send Seachem an e-mail with the lot number and the procedure you used. They will definately replace your regents if they are faulty.

Cheers
Steve

I am not refering to the regent but the water from the QT. You need to use two pipettes of water from the quarantine tank. The way you posted above, I read it as you only used one pipette of QT water?

Cheers
Steve

ahh, I did not see that before. I have been only adding 1 pippette.
Thanks. I'll try that now.

Back
Top Bottom