Seachem Tests

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been using the Seachem Nitrite/Nitrate chemical test for a while now, and find it very hard to read!

Basically, "light pink" is meant to equal "0", which then slowly fades to darker pink. It would be much easier if 0=WHITE. Or, maybe that is the case?

Can anyone with experience of this kit confirm that light pink (and NOT white) is actually 0?

I dont use that type test kit but you need to go by the time limit when you check out the chart. The longer you wait the darker the color will get and give you skewed results.

It says to check within 3-5 mins, and I check at 4/5 mins. The colour on the chart does start at light pink, and not white, but it's just so difficult to tell!

I also ran an ammonia test, which I tested with the reference, and also have a Seachem Ammonia Alert, and both show 0. So I guess I should just go by this. Without ammonia, I should have 0 nitrites, right? I always had 0 nitrites before, I just seem to remember the colour being a bit paler before.

Switch to the Salifert test. Also not the easiest to read but better than the Seachem. For low readings on the Salifert you look throug the side of the tube for a 10x reading e.g a 2 becomes a .2

that light pink (and NOT white) is actually 0?
It's been awhile since I used a Seachem trite/trate kit, but from what I remember you will always see a slight reaction- meaning the sample will never remain totally clear. If you have 0 ammonia and no issues w/ fish or coral health, I'd say your nitrite is most likely good also.

Back
Top Bottom