Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-06-2004, 06:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Seaclone and phosphates

I've got a Seaclone 150 on my 55gal tank.... I'm wondering how often the cup should fill???? Please look at my profile for my load....

Also I've had previous posts asking about dying snails/shrimp and I've got one about loads of diatom algae....... I've been reading up and think I might have a problem with phosphates..... haven't done any testing though..... gonna get a test kit today..... sound like it might be the problem to you guys????????

Old 11-06-2004, 08:12 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Every tank is unique when it comes to how often the skimmer cup should be emptied. Your correct in one factor being fish load. ANother factor is how often you feed and even what you feed.

Overall I would say emptying the cup twice a week would be normal. The coloration of the liquid in the cup should be dark brown.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 08:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This is true.... but my skimmer is pulling no where near that outta my tank....... I just got done talking to the guys at the LFS.... sounds like I'm gonna try a water change with some RO/DI water I picked up from the grocery store....... we'll see if it makes a difference....
Old 11-06-2004, 08:30 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Your skimmer might need adjusting or cleaned. OR your water just does not have that much in the way of disolved organics to skim out.

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

test first, adjust after.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

test first???? the skimmer???? how so ????? I just adjusted it again.... I have a few bubbles dropping into the tank, but the water/air ratio is alot more towards the water side than it was....... we'll see.... it's my first skimmer... I'm really not sure what to expect...... all in due time my friends......
Old 11-07-2004, 10:46 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I belive the skimmer instructions say to adjust the venturi valve so the water level is just below the gasket that seals the collection cup to the skimmer body. The seaclone does not have all that many adjustments so the water level is the only thing to really go with. The reaction chamber should be a nice froth of micro bubbles.

Old 11-07-2004, 10:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Seaclones suck. I had a 100 in my 55 and it was marginal at best... I brought it back for a 150 (only reason I did that is because I could only get store credit from petsmart) and the 150 is even worse than the 100. The 150 uses the same pump as the 100 and it is crazy underpowered... the valve is almost impossible to adjust correct... and the thing bubbles like crazy. It would take about a month or two to fill my cup... the 100 filled it about once every two weeks but it was a light color... the 150 doesn't fill it but it is all sludge. As soon as I get a good check I am ditching it for something better (which I think would be just about anything).
Old 11-08-2004, 01:14 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have to agree w/ Matt. My seaclone doesn't collect anything but sludge in the tube of the cup even after 8 months of fiddling w/ it. I found mine collects the most if I leave it off (no air through the venturi, just water for tank circulation) overnight and turn it on for an hour or so before and after lights on. IMO, Buy a better skimmer, or be very cautious about overfeeding, and keeping up w/ water changes. HTH
Old 11-08-2004, 01:57 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

A friend of mine runs a Seaclone 100 on his 90 gallon, runs it in his sump. Seems to do real well. He is looking for another actually. I believe there is a new and an old model. Something about the length of an inner tube???? I just bought one myself, we'll see!
Cheers

Tags
phosphates, seaclone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com