Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-15-2004, 10:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Seaclone Modifications

Ok
I have owned a Seaclone for about one and a half years. It has worked alright so far, but now that I have it on my 55 gallon I would like to see some more from it. I have heard sever things to do to the skimmer. One is adding an air stone at the very bottom, thus creating more bubbles. Another getting a new powerhead and creating more bubbles and power going through the skimmer. Or just adding an air valve to the end of the air tube. And then there was something with the collection cup either making it higher or lower. I was just wondering if anyone had done any of these modifications or done one of their own mods. I would like to hear from anyone that has any advice, stories, or maybe a few suggestions.
Thanks
Nate

Old 09-16-2004, 09:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I actually tried most of those things. I tried to remove the inner lower tube to cut it off because supposedly the longer contact time would help. The tube was glued in and broke while trying to remove it. I then tried go ahead and save it by adding the air stone(I drilled a small hole below the inspection cup and ran the air hose then sealed hole with silicone.) No joy. I also had a gang valve to get better control of the air intake. They just suck generally. I had a maxi-jet 1200. I had a constant stream of bubbles into my tank and several overflowings of the collection cup. I strongly suggest that if it works at all you should probably either leave it alone or sell it and upgrade. IMO

http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 09:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to nyghtone Send a message via AIM to nyghtone Send a message via MSN to nyghtone Send a message via Yahoo to nyghtone
Ditto, I hate this skimmer!!! I am very much looking forward to getting my new AquaC EV-120 when I can afford it, hopefully sooner than later!!!

HTH, Joshua...

www.nyghtone.com
nyghtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 09:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've been fiddling w/ mine for about 9 months and it still only works occasionally, what a PITA! I've come to the conclusion that I should have saved and bought a Remora like everyone said!!!
Old 09-16-2004, 11:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to nyghtone Send a message via AIM to nyghtone Send a message via MSN to nyghtone Send a message via Yahoo to nyghtone
Ditto!!

www.nyghtone.com
nyghtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 03:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to makana
for a smaller tank (10-30 gallons) these skimmer work if adjusted carefully and darn-near constantly. i recently did try the shortening of the inner riser tube modification and i broke the tube ouot as well. i just shortened it an inch or so and epoxied the tube back in place. now it seems to be skimming much better. these are NOT the crappiest skimmers but for the price they sure are a ripoff.
i think after shortening the riser tube it works as well as my friend's old cpr backpak. im only running it on a 29 gallon reef and i woukdnt dare try it on anything larger.

------------------------------------------------------
29g berlin reef w/ 4.9 wpg and tons of current, 10g sump/fuge, and 12" CPR hang-on refugium

SUPPORT YOUR REEF - START A REFUGIUM
makana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 04:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Glad my tank came with a custom. Just be glad you didn't get the Prism.. they tried using one of those on the tank listed below... *shakes head*... I really felt sorry for them :p
Old 01-07-2005, 05:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to makana
i didnt pay for my seaclone either - it was a gift. but hey, it skims... you just need to make sure its adjusted, broken in, modified, and you need to pray constantly...not too bad
why did marineland ever make such a crappy thing?!

29g berlin reef w/ 4.9 wpg and tons of current, 10g sump/fuge, and 12" CPR hang-on refugium

SUPPORT YOUR REEF - START A REFUGIUM
makana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 06:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mine needs everyday attention too, but so does the whole tank.
I will do all of the modifications as soon as I have a litle more time on hand.
But I'm saving up for a new one anyway.
swissfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 06:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use one of those valves like they used to use to regulate the flow of I.V.'s Those rolling wheel things on my Seaclone.

Only time I get bubbles with it is if its been off for a few days, and theres no more slime in it. I use a Maxijet 1200 to.

Its a pain to get the valve into the right spot, but other then that...runs like a champ.

Tags
seaclone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com