seaclone skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lindsikins00

Aquarium Advice Activist
My skilter decided to quit...which I guess is probably a good thing :) So I ran to work and got a Seaclone 100. I know these aren't the best, but would be fine for a 30 gallon. Any ways, I hooked it up and plugged it in, and massive amounts of bubbles started pouring into the tank, I played with the air valve thingy to try and reduce the bubbles, but didn't help that much. After fooling with the valve for 15 min I decided to try and leave it on the "least bubble" setting. When I came back there was bubbles all over everything in the tank(heater, filter, PH and glass). So I turned the skimmer off. Gave it an hour to clear out a little bit, turned it back on and fooled with it some more. Still huge amounts of bubbles. Doesn't too much air in the water cause problems? Something with the fishes brain or blood? My friend at work has one and said he went to Home Depot and bought a different kind of valve that was more precise. Is this the problem or is it operator error? I have never had a "real" skimmer before so I am not familliar with this whole thing. Help! Thanks soooooooooo much!

Hey man, i also have a seaclone 100, the bubbles will go away over time, the skimmer needs to break in, give it a week or two. Everyone told me it wasnt a very good skimmer, but im getting excelent reuslts, good luck and just give it time

the best mod ive done to my seaclone was the following !! the prob with these skimmers are they are underdrivin imo !!

Ok I guess I will just let it break in. I don't mind the bubbles for a while, but there won't be any ill effects on my fish right? Once at work the some plumbing guy installed a vortec thingy on backwards and the filter system was spitting out tons of bubbles and the fish started having these spasms and then passing away. :-( Some had bubbles inside their bodies and their fins etc. Horrible! N e ways it is fixed now I just don't want the skimmer to do that to my fish.

I am a recent seaclone purchaser =) and after tunning mine for a while it sprayed bubbles all over the place and then one day (about 2 weeks) it just stopped and I started getting about an 1/8 a cup of murky water in the collection cup each week (all i have is some hermits, snails, and live rock right now). So it seems to be working just fine =). I would give the skimmer some time, the bubbles do stop after a while.

The skimmer is definatly working cause the cup is about 1/4 full. It still is putting bubbles in the tank. I got another question though.... When you screw that air valve shut is that suppose to make the bubbles stop? I just want to make sure there is nothing wrong with mine cause when I screw it shut the bubbles get worse.

when the venturi is screwed shut it allows full flow from the pump !! so for a bit yes the bubbles trapped it the skimmer might come out but should clear up !!

It takes a little time to break in. Another word of advice. When you empty the cup, only lightly wash the inlet portion of the cup. This will keep it from having to break in all over again.

In regards to the valve and bubbles, some bubbles should be a problem unless you have sponges that will trap them. Allow it to get broken in before you do anything drastic for the bubbles. I've heard of others replacing the air valve with a left over powerhead air valve, but mine wouldn't fit. That would seem an easy first option.

Hopefully that will all work.

I have had mine since I started my 55 in January. It seemed to work the first few months and now doesn't collect any water in the cup. I only have 2 fish in the tank now compared too 10 previously. Could there just not be any protein in my water or has the seaclone nightmare of it not working come to my tank?

totally matters on what 2 fish ya have !! if ya have two clown gobies then no not much for the skimmer to get unless ya over feed !! if ya have 2 triggers then yes it should be getting foam :)

should get a cup every 2-3 days for sure on that skimmer unless ya did my mod then ya could get a cup a day if ya dial it in right :)

Thanks so much guys!! If it wasn't for all you guys my tank would not be doing as good as it is. I give all the credit for the success of my aquarium to you guys. At first saltwater was very frustrating, but now I'm enjoying my tank much more. I'm spend my time watching my tank instead of frantically water testing and trying to fix problems. I'm thinking of trying to make a sump, but the space in my stand is only 9x12x24 so that isn't even big enough for a 10 gallon. I'm thinking a tall, skinny trash can.... or would that not even be worth the trouble? (that isn't enough room for the filter or anything but it would increase my water capacity a little) Think I could do a fuge (with some mud or live rock)? Thanks so much

long and skinny would be better than tall.

If you want all the frustration back, by all means, go for a sump. Once I get mine all set up, I'll be much happier. I'm looking forward to sitting back. I should have listened to my lfs and had him set it all up to start.

The main problem with my Seaclone is that I couldn't get the pump deep enough in the water. I did a little modding with some 3/4" tubing and now I'm getting about an 1/8 of a cup a day.

im having some trouble with mine too. when i think i have the flow right, i get these air pockets in the tube which lessens the flow again. any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom