Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-08-2004, 10:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

seaclone skimmer

My skilter decided to quit...which I guess is probably a good thing So I ran to work and got a Seaclone 100. I know these aren't the best, but would be fine for a 30 gallon. Any ways, I hooked it up and plugged it in, and massive amounts of bubbles started pouring into the tank, I played with the air valve thingy to try and reduce the bubbles, but didn't help that much. After fooling with the valve for 15 min I decided to try and leave it on the "least bubble" setting. When I came back there was bubbles all over everything in the tank(heater, filter, PH and glass). So I turned the skimmer off. Gave it an hour to clear out a little bit, turned it back on and fooled with it some more. Still huge amounts of bubbles. Doesn't too much air in the water cause problems? Something with the fishes brain or blood? My friend at work has one and said he went to Home Depot and bought a different kind of valve that was more precise. Is this the problem or is it operator error? I have never had a "real" skimmer before so I am not familliar with this whole thing. Help! Thanks soooooooooo much!

Old 07-08-2004, 10:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to gump3842k Send a message via Yahoo to gump3842k
Hey man, i also have a seaclone 100, the bubbles will go away over time, the skimmer needs to break in, give it a week or two. Everyone told me it wasnt a very good skimmer, but im getting excelent reuslts, good luck and just give it time

seaclone 100 skimmer
proquatics power filter
powersweep power head
candy canes
yellow polyops
Pair of maroon clowns
gump3842k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 11:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

the best mod ive done to my seaclone was the following !! the prob with these skimmers are they are underdrivin imo !!
Old 07-08-2004, 11:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

pics
Old 07-08-2004, 11:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok I guess I will just let it break in. I don't mind the bubbles for a while, but there won't be any ill effects on my fish right? Once at work the some plumbing guy installed a vortec thingy on backwards and the filter system was spitting out tons of bubbles and the fish started having these spasms and then passing away. :-( Some had bubbles inside their bodies and their fins etc. Horrible! N e ways it is fixed now I just don't want the skimmer to do that to my fish.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:14 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to gump3842k Send a message via Yahoo to gump3842k
Your fish should be fine atleast mine never had a problom with it
seaclone 100 skimmer
proquatics power filter
powersweep power head
candy canes
yellow polyops
Pair of maroon clowns
gump3842k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 02:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am a recent seaclone purchaser =) and after tunning mine for a while it sprayed bubbles all over the place and then one day (about 2 weeks) it just stopped and I started getting about an 1/8 a cup of murky water in the collection cup each week (all i have is some hermits, snails, and live rock right now). So it seems to be working just fine =). I would give the skimmer some time, the bubbles do stop after a while.
3x penguin 1140 ph
2x65 10,000K and 2x65 03 Acintic
40lbs cc/30lbs argonite sand mixture
80lbs keys rock (www.liverocks.com awesome stuff)
25lbs fiji/tonga lr
10lbs lace base rock (now hapily live with lots of coraline growth)
lziarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 10:38 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

The skimmer is definatly working cause the cup is about 1/4 full. It still is putting bubbles in the tank. I got another question though.... When you screw that air valve shut is that suppose to make the bubbles stop? I just want to make sure there is nothing wrong with mine cause when I screw it shut the bubbles get worse.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:29 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

when the venturi is screwed shut it allows full flow from the pump !! so for a bit yes the bubbles trapped it the skimmer might come out but should clear up !!
Old 07-11-2004, 11:55 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

It takes a little time to break in. Another word of advice. When you empty the cup, only lightly wash the inlet portion of the cup. This will keep it from having to break in all over again.

In regards to the valve and bubbles, some bubbles should be a problem unless you have sponges that will trap them. Allow it to get broken in before you do anything drastic for the bubbles. I've heard of others replacing the air valve with a left over powerhead air valve, but mine wouldn't fit. That would seem an easy first option.

Hopefully that will all work.

Tags
seaclone, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com