seaclone skimmer fustrationS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eddiedellz

Aquarium Advice Regular
well i just jumped into one of these things without first looking into them i hate it no matter what i try i cant get it adjusted for that matter i dont know how much or what point the bubbles should be no matter what i do its either no foam or all foam that goes up the intake and fills the cup with watter sometimes i think i have it and its at the top of the intake but eventually bubbles over so i tryed drilling the hole in the cap and running the air stone in it but the valve i have for the air stone is the same problem too much or none .. anyone have suggestions how to get it to work or what valve i could buy to ease the pain -thanks

You are no alone. There have been many past posts about that skimmer. Someone started a thread a few months ago about "How to tweek your seaclone". I thought I saved it, but didn't. Search for it. Or did any one else rember where it is?

ive seen it ive tryed it i still dont understand exactly where the foam level is sapose to be and how much would actually be effective and still have the problem of ether theres too much bubbles or none. anyone know a bettter valve?

Is this a new skimmer or a new tank? I used a Seaclone for over a year on my previous tank and had no problems with it. I have found that the break-in period is a bit longer. If it is shooting out tiny bublbles jst close the valvue completely for a week or so and try it again. Eventualy, it will magically start working. At least that is what happened to mine. Once it was broken in the thing skimed like crazy.

well im not looking for it to start working but if i have the valve open and it overflows evey time thats my concern no matter how i tune it it overflows no bubbles or tooo much bubbles :T

I have this skimmer also, and I will be upgrading to a AquaC EV-120 ASAP. This skimmer sucks, just get used to it, I adjust mine daily, if not more. It does work, but it's a LOT of work on the owners part to get the skimmer to do it's work.

Good luck and keep tweeking, it's all that you can do..

HTH, Joshua...

eddiedellz,

Are you using it in your sump or externally? I use a Seaclone in my sump, and although I'm not overly impressed with it, it seems to do its job at least partially. Make sure you're venturi is fit snug to the intake on the pump (mine is a maxijet). Also make sure the airline hose is not kinked and then open the valve (start with completely closed and then turn counter clockwise) until the air bubbles in the chamber form a vortex as high up as possible. Your return volume should be closer to a trickle than pouring out - you need to hold back that pump. Your skimmer will need to go through a break-in period once you get the air mixture right.

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve with the airstone, but if you want to safegaurd a skimmate overflow situation you should tap the collection cup and run some airline tubing into a collection container that is larger than the collection cup on the skimmer. HTH...

I also have a Seaclone skimmer. Mine works really good. I have to empty the cup usually daily. What I have found are a couple things:

First, if it is brand new it will require a couple of weeks to "break in"...so you will see the bubbles for a while. It only took 3 days for mine to stop producing bubbles.

Next, make sure you are getting clean air from the tube. Adjust the fitting on the tube to 1-1/2 full turns and let it go. That seems to be the best setting for the SeaClone skimmer. It will start producing "coffee" within a few days of break-in provided you have something in the water to skim. You just have to be patient with any skimmer. They just don't start working right away.

Also, I never adjust mine after the initial setup. You just have to make sure that the air line is where it will get fresh air as opposed to salt laden air. The salt air will eventually develope salt creep into the hose and clog it and then you will have to clean out the hose to make it work correctly again.

Also remember that when you "clean" you skimmer, it will have to "break-in" all over again. I clean mine every 3-4 months.

From all of the bad posts that this skimmer gets, I must have been so lucky to get the ONE that actually works...LOL

Anyway, I hope this will help you out some.

Mike

Sorry I have to say, I have never had any problems with my SClone 150. Skims great, and I have never had any problems with my water parimeters. :wink:

PS. I take the cup off, and adjust the air flow until I get a good fizz right at the top of the cylinder.

I don't know if this is right or if it just worked for mine, but when mine was breaking in(approx one day after installing it), I just cleaned it with "dirty" water from a water change and it started working perfectly after that. I think there are things left on them from the factory that need to be washed off real well before adding it to your tank. My break in period was about 30 secondas after I did that, b/c it started putting out gunk almost immediatly!

Like I said, Don't know if this was the right thing to do, but it worked for mine.

You may be right about that Doug. All I know is mine works real good. It is evident that alot of people have trouble with them. I think it is more of not setting it up just right and maybe a lack of patience when tweeking it. I can become real frustrating with this thing.

I get more frustration from my live rock than my skimmer.....I just can't seem to get it placed just the way I want it.....LOL

Mike

LMAO....well thats OK. There are better skimmers out there, I hope you got one of them. There is always a response to any post on this site. Sometimes just a few, and then sometimes there are more than you want to look at...LOL

But you asked and we responded. I hope whatever you got works for you. Thats what it is all about anyway.

Mike

Also the Seaclone website has a troubleshooting section that says that any water conditioners that have a slime coat additive will cause problems with excessive bubbles released to tank and also overflowing collection cup.

Back
Top Bottom