seahorse questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

russian65

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 40 gal. cube with 3 dwarf black seahorses, one of which is pregnant. My question is if firefish will eat the babies of the seahorses? And also, what corals can I keep with them(seahorses)? Will dragonets be okay with dwarf seahorses?

Don't know about the firefish, but corals that work with the h. zosterae are gorgonians, zooanthids, and mushrooms, at least in my experience. They really like the gorgonians, too, because they can hitch onto them.

They really like the gorgonians, too, because they can hitch onto them.

Good advice. I personally would not keep a dragonet with the seahorses as they will out compete with the seahorses for the pods in the tank. I believe your seahorses will starve to death with them in there. JMO

I agree with using gorgonians and also include macro algaes as the safest alternative. It is quite possible a firefish will eat any fry due to their minute size. As for the dragonet, I'd worry more about getting the dragonet to eat prepared food over out-competing for copepods. In general, I doubt you could sustain the required supply of copepods needed for a dwarf seahorse, which is why up to 2-day old nauplii is often recommended. If anything you could try a thoroughly mashed mysis and/or cyclop-eeze.

Back
Top Bottom