seahorse tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hollywood11892

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok so i just started a seahorse tank got the sand and salt mix in waiting for everything to dissolve and settle and was wondering would i be able to have a cuc with the seahorses? i know crabs are a no no but how bout other stuff? and is live rock still a good idea with seahorses? and do salt water snails reproduce as much as freshwater?

i've never heard crabs being a no no with seahorses, but they are extremly difficult to keep. be prepared and be sure there are no micro bubbles in the water, as they can leach into the seahorse and rot them fro mthe inside

hollywood11892 said:
ok so i just started a seahorse tank got the sand and salt mix in waiting for everything to dissolve and settle and was wondering would i be able to have a cuc with the seahorses? i know crabs are a no no but how bout other stuff? and is live rock still a good idea with seahorses? and do salt water snails reproduce as much as freshwater?

Emerald crabs would be just fine in a sea horse tank..

oh then i stand corrected i coulda sworn i read that they couldnt be, but how bout the other questions?

hollywood11892 said:

What size tank? You could do some turbos .. live rock absolutely... id recommend finding so branch dry rock. This isn't a plug but www.bulkreefsupply.com has dome great branching dryrock so ur horses can attach to.. also look up some plants to place so they can hold on to it.. I think its called caulprea somthing like that...

I have an emerald and some hermit crabs, With about 6 pounds of lr in my 10g seahorse tank. I was thinking about adding a sand sifting goby but I'm not sure which I want or if it would be safe.

I have a goby in my other tank and he is crazy during feeding time. It's a rock skipper, I'm just worried if I put a goby in the tank with the seahorses they will not get any food.

GsxrD said:
I have a goby in my other tank and he is crazy during feeding time. It's a rock skipper, I'm just worried if I put a goby in the tank with the seahorses they will not get any food.

Get a small ywg?

I personally would not do a crab in this tank. I guess you are talking dwarf SH`s as the regular size ones need 15 gallons per horse. The crabs would grab the SH`s as they move much slower than fish do. Make sure you have some pointed LR so they can grab ahold orf something with their tails. IME

Would love to know updates on your tank as they come! I am thinking of starting a 24 gal SH tank, but not sure yet!

i guess i can start a build thread :) but tomm live rock goes in and salinity will be double checked but should be good

Back
Top Bottom