Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-29-2010, 12:33 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

A sand sifting goby was about the only thing I ever felt comfortable mixing with my SH. Pat is correct on the pipefish, I wouldn't mix them unless they are from the same breeder or are several generations captive bred.

This may go without saying, but don't mix seahorse species either

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:03 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

There's nothing wrong with mixing seahorse species as long as they're are region compatible (tropical/temperate, subtropical, etc.), but you will eventually have interbreeding. I've yet to have problems mixing passive fish long-term with horses or pipes. A new study shows that sound virbatuions could lead to stress disorders causing premature death in aquatic fish...something to ponder with horses.

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:33 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Did you get all of yours from the same breeder?

I have heard of multiple horror stories of different breeds bringing in disease they are immune to but it decimates the existing population.

It's been awhile though since I had mine. Things might have changed.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:32 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

No, different sources, originally live sources. Certain past breeders had major mycobacterium problems spread across their facility in the past so perhaps that was a part of your experience woes...unfortunately. Most Atlantic animals seem to have a lower disease tolerance when exposed to parasites from within the Indian, Pacifics, and Oceania and of course some species just have higher thresholds compared to others (depending on whom you ask lol ).
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

ive heard a sea horse only tank should be kept on a dose of anti-biotics bi monthly to the DT. Fighting some bubble gut diease that happends often in captivity. Keeping Sea horses with other fish and coral is just generally not recommended. Good luck on what ever choice you make =).
Old 01-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie

seahorse tankmates

Everyone you talk to will have a different opinion...I have had a reeftank for 6 years....I have live sand, live rock, calurpa, soft corals, 2 6 yr. old "nemos" who are very friendly, emerald crabs, hermit crabs, 2 mandarins, a fire goby, and of course, seahorses.... it's all about attention.... if you feed the fish first, you can target feed the seahorses. My seahorses do not starve and have reproduced many times over, and because I was not knowledgable enough to raise the fry, I gave them to my friend at the lfs. Years later, though, now I am more knowledgable and practiced at populating copepods, hatching brine, etc.

Tags
seahorse, tan, tank mates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com