Seahorses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haus

Aquarium Advice Freak
In the near future I will have a 10 gal tank just sitting around. A lfs has had cb seahorses for the past 6 weeks and I was thinking about using the 10 gal as a species tank. Does anybody have seahorses that could give me advice? If 10 gal is too small I could keep my FW in the 10 gal and use a 29 gal instead. An empty tank is not an option, and I want to do something different with it. I know seahorses are hard to keep, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA

A new project - let the research begin!!!! :D

My experience with seahorses has not been a good one. I bought captive bred horses as well and they ate everytime I offered food to them for the first month. Then they went on a fast and wasted away. It was very sad. They need to be fed often so water quality has to be checked alot and a tall tank is better than a shallow one. Give them plenty of hitching areas, they don't swim very well. Good luck. Hope your experience is a more possitive one.

Exactly why I haven't gotten a seahorse tank. My wife loves them and wanted some, but I started reading and found they are very difficult to keep.

If you do decide to go with them, good luck.

Nate

Tall tanks are best, IMO a 10 is way too small to keep them long term.. I know several people who have them and they have larger tanks.
I have been reading up on them for a while because my wife wants them and I have yet to get any because they can be hard to care for and need TLC all the time.

I've recently became interested in them myself. I found a forum soley about keeping seahorses http://forum.seahorse.org/ There seems to be alot of outdated and/or conflicting advise on the net. Some sites say small tanks, like 2-5gals are best to start with - most that I've come across so far say a 10gal is fine :| HTH

That's what I've seen too, but i thought that 2-5 gal is, for lack of a better term, cruel. I thought about using the 10 gal as a sump, but I think that is small for a 55 gal. After looking at the FW fish that I have, they HAVE to move into the 29 gal. I was also thinking about a nano reef with the 10 gal. I really like fire fish, especially the purple fire fish. Maybe them and gobys. I should have stuck with FW, not as many options :lol: .

Back
Top Bottom