Seahorses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squirt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Phil and I just set up our tanks and are running through the set up cycle. I have been trying to figure out what i would like to put in my tank and i think i would like seahorses. Does anyone have any advise on raising and caring for them?

Pam

I believe Hara is known and has taken care of Seahorses. They are NOT recommended for beginners. If you are a experienced aquarist I hear that dwarfs are easier to acclimate and care for Pam HTH Hopefully someone else will give you some advice also.

I think Reefrunner69 posted a really good link about seahorses a week or so ago. It was a very complete and informative site. But you're right, gooyferret, it did look like their care is a bit complicated. If you're considering seahorses, you shoud read this site thoroughly. Hopefully Reefrunner will post it again.

deffinitly find that link. I looked into seahorses myself and decided I wasn't prepare for it. They need an environment with very little water current, which is contradictory to just about every other SW system you have. So unless you want a Seahorses only tank, I'd set the idea on the shelf for a while. They also don't do well housed with hungry fast swimmers as the fast swimmers will scoop up and eat all the food you offer before the seahorses get a chance to eat.

Thanks for all the imput. I was thinking of a seahorses only tank since Phil will have fish and things in his tank. I picked up a book on caring for them and hopefully the seahorses site will add some more information to what i am accumulating.

Pam

Back
Top Bottom