Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2011, 01:57 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Quint
J, based on our previous discussion, 6 sh's in a 30g must clearly be insane, no? That HAS to be an overstocking problem just waiting to happen. I mean, if both of us agree that 4 plus a blenny and a cardinal would be too much, then 6 sh's seems completely nutty.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I will make it 4. I like the fish that I have, and it makes me sad to think of turning them over to the LFS, just to make room for a couple of horsey-come-latelies. I'm just wondering about the whole thing.

You might be surprised how cheaply sh's can be had. My pair only cost me 30 a piece, and they're clearly cb, because they took to frozen shrimp instantly, and have never refused a feeding. They're not the fancy kind, but they are fun to watch and they make nice pets. If you like them, I'd say give it a shot.

Just be careful not to overstock

Here's a last thing, since you mentioned corals: Have you ever done Gorgonians or Sea Fans? Obviously, they would be ideal hitching-places for the seahorses, although I haven't treid adding them yet. Are they any trickier to keep than other, easier corals?
I find both to be great.. how ever I don't know your tank and its lighting..

Edit: I should say what type of lighting you running?

Old 06-30-2011, 02:05 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I thought you might ask that, and I'm afraid that I can't answer very well. I told the guy at the store that I wanted to grow corals, and he told me, "You should get this setup, which comes in this box right here, and is intended to be used for corals." It has two actinic blue bulbs and two full spectrum bulbs, arranged alternately, plus a pair of LED lights, which can be used to simulate moonlight when the other bulbe are off. Right now, it seems to be doing a bang-up job supplying the needs of numerous mushrooms and frogspawns and zoanthids and some other bright green things, whose names I can't recall right now - plus the brain coral mentioned above.

They're a step up from regular lighting, and not as fancy as Metal Halides, but I don't remember exactly what they're called.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Quint
I thought you might ask that, and I'm afraid that I can't answer very well. I told the guy at the store that I wanted to grow corals, and he told me, "You should get this setup, which comes in this box right here, and is intended to be used for corals." It has two actinic blue bulbs and two full spectrum bulbs, arranged alternately, plus a pair of LED lights, which can be used to simulate moonlight when the other bulbe are off. Right now, it seems to be doing a bang-up job supplying the needs of numerous mushrooms and frogspawns and zoanthids and some other bright green things, whose names I can't recall right now - plus the brain coral mentioned above.

They're a step up from regular lighting, and not as fancy as Metal Halides, but I don't remember exactly what they're called.
What are you keeping ur temp at? I would think hicksonella gorgion and dead apricola for them.. have you thought about any types of kelp.. usally everone I know keeps corals to a minimum when doing sh .. seems like u have a nice setup going pictures?
Old 06-30-2011, 04:09 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I think the biggest issue is feeding competition. Seahorses are really slow eaters, as you know. Somebody suggested a sand sifter, like a Goby. I agree, that is one of the few fish I would have with Seahorses.

In many Seahorse tanks, they are full of plants as the Seahorses seem to like to hang out in them. I don't think your bio load is any where close to being at maximum at this point and I don't think adding a few more Seahorses will make much difference. Just my opinion. Keep up the water changes.

Tags
coral, corals, seahorse, seahorses

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com