Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2003, 05:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
Seahorses and Pipefish

I've always heard that the only fish you can keep with a seahorse is pipefish and likewise the only thing you can keep pipefish with is a seahorse. I've been told this is because they are both such incredibly passive eaters that they will starve with any other tankmates.

However, I have seen seahorses and pipefish both kept with other types of fish at the LFSs before. My first thought was that they were sold quickly enough that it wasn't an issue, but I've seen the same pipefish in a tank with clowns for two months now. I've seen the same seahorse (he's huge, and you couldn't miss him) with a couple dozen chromis for more like four months now.

Have I been told wrong? I mean, those chromis are *really* aggressive eaters in my experience. What do you guys think about this?

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 05:20 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Of Leafy Dragons, Pipefishes, Seahorses; Family Syngnathidae, pt. 1

Of Leafy Dragons, Pipefishes, Seahorses; Family Syngnathidae, pt. 2

I think prt 2 goes more into pipefish than part one, but I only looked at the first paragraph of each

Enjoy

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 09:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I read that article, Reefrunner. Wow, those things sound hard to keep. I don't think I'd want to try.

The article did say something about keeping live food in the tank all the time. Is it recommended to go to the store, buy a bunch of brine shrimp, and then just let them run loose in a tank in larger numbers than necessary for feeding? (I mean this question for tanks with normal, non-tube-mouthed fish). Would the fish overfeed and kill themselves as I've heard happens sometimes or is this an entirely acceptable practice?

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Old 07-29-2003, 10:18 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Brine shrimp is not recommended for any SW fish, they are not nutritious at all. What is more common would be mysis shrimp grown in a refugium which will provide a constant source of food.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 11:11 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
they cannot be kept in a tank with any fish that will out compete them for food! I cannot stress this enough. Also, tank raised, captive bred seahorses eat frozen foods. You need a species specific tank. Please visit seahorse.org or syngnathid.org for more in depth information. and please reconsider your thoughts on getting them.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh, I didn't at all plan on getting them. I've had a bunch of posts up with questions about different fish and tank inhabitants, but I was merely curious about them.

So, Reefrunner, could you keep your tank stocked with mysis shrimp, then? I mean, just keep your normal display tank (pipefish and seahorses aside) stocked with mysis shrimp for food full time? Or would that be detrimental in some fashion?

Old 09-11-2003, 04:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

tank mates

You can keep other fish with seahorses. I have a madrin goby with mine. I have seen friends that have keep leaf fish, and some eels with seahorses. I have a new tank for my horses and they will be sharing it with a baby snowflake eel and a dwarf lion. As long as the other fish being housed with the seahorses are slow steady eaters then there will be no problem.

Tags
pipefish, seahorse, seahorses

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com