Seahorses: Need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crister13

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 20g tank attached to a 150, so bioload is not an issue. I have 2 clowns in the 20, and am getting a mandarin in awhile. I love seahorses, and was wondering if I could get a pair if I fed extra, I could keep the seahorses. Would the amount of food needed get to the seahorses if I fed extra? I also have a fighting conch and 2 peps in that tank. Would a banded pipefish be ok? Again, bioload is not an issue.

Actually, I would much rather prefer just to get alot of dwarf seahorses. Ive heard that they like to be in groups of 4 or more, so I may try 10 or something like that. The clowns are around an inch, so would they kill the seahorses if the seahorses were 0.5-1.5 inches?

I am not sure that I would try to mix Clownfish with Seahorses. :) If the Clownfish didn't kill the Seahorses, they would probably outcompete them for food.

Thats what I thought, but since bioload isnt an issue, could I feed extra so everyone got whats needed?

Seahorses typically do best in a species only tank. They do not like a lot of flow at all and are very passive eaters. The clowns will try and eat all the food u put in no matter how much they have already eaten.

My grouper stops eating after I feed him enough. Thats the only way I can feed my other fish. Will the clowns kill them? And will the dwarfs accept frozan mysis?

They may they may that is not an answer u can give a def yes or no question to. I would def guess that they would at least bother them. If this tank is attached to ur 150 how much flow u have thru it?

I really dont know what the pump is rated for but it is very weak so I added like a 300gph powerhead to it. Its pretty powerful but I could move it. Do you know if the horses would accept frozen brinse/mysis? I could get bigger sea horses if needed to make the clowns act better towards them. I also heard that they only eat baby brine so could I get other horses?

No matter how big they are the clowns are much faster stronger more aggressive fish so if there gonna go after then the size wont matter. The frozen shrimp I think that will be on an indivual basis whether they take it or not. Ask to see them eat before you get them. And they prb wont like that power head in there.

I can move the PH. I could use it in my sump to get more flow across the LR. Wouldnt they be less likely to pick on bigger ones though? And thx for the help so far. Do the dwarfs only eat live brine or will they eat frozen?

I think u can get them to eat frozen but I kinda think its the same story as manderians maybe maybe not. And u don't think the size really matters they are so docile that if the clowns decide to attack them they will regardless of size.

I wouldn't breed them in your dump just set up a plastic container. I have never done but it its extremly easy from what I've read. You just gotta make sure u feed the brine to whatever ur feeding between hrs 8-12 of there life. Supposedly they lose there nutritional value after that and just becomes a tasty snack.

Sadly I cant set up anything to breed them in. Im 13 with 5 tanks soooooo.................................. ya. LOL. Would I be able to breed them in my sump? With no rock in it I could just scoop a net through every day or so and just give to the horses. What do brine eat?

Im not going with the dwarfs theyre too expensive. Ill give my LFS a visit next weekend and just get normal ones.

Honestly all u need is tupperware container with an airstone and a heater that easy. Not sure on sump I think the eggs would get into the water column and go everywhere. The idea is to have them in seperate tank/container so u can just take a cup out at feeding time.

Or if the brine do constantly breedin your sump it would be a good thing cuz it would be a constant food source for the seahorses just like pods I am just not sure if it works? Sry

Really? A tupperware with an airstone/heater? Ok, may be able to do that. How big of a container? And you have to feed them right? What do they eat?

I can't remember all the details right now about how to do it sry just remember reading its fairly simple. Google breeding brine shrimp. I looked into it a couple months ago and can't remember all the details. But I did find good articles googling it.

Back
Top Bottom