Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Seahorses: Need advice

I have a 20g tank attached to a 150, so bioload is not an issue. I have 2 clowns in the 20, and am getting a mandarin in awhile. I love seahorses, and was wondering if I could get a pair if I fed extra, I could keep the seahorses. Would the amount of food needed get to the seahorses if I fed extra? I also have a fighting conch and 2 peps in that tank. Would a banded pipefish be ok? Again, bioload is not an issue.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Actually, I would much rather prefer just to get alot of dwarf seahorses. Ive heard that they like to be in groups of 4 or more, so I may try 10 or something like that. The clowns are around an inch, so would they kill the seahorses if the seahorses were 0.5-1.5 inches?

Old 01-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am not sure that I would try to mix Clownfish with Seahorses. If the Clownfish didn't kill the Seahorses, they would probably outcompete them for food.
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thats what I thought, but since bioload isnt an issue, could I feed extra so everyone got whats needed?
Old 01-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Seahorses typically do best in a species only tank. They do not like a lot of flow at all and are very passive eaters. The clowns will try and eat all the food u put in no matter how much they have already eaten.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

My grouper stops eating after I feed him enough. Thats the only way I can feed my other fish. Will the clowns kill them? And will the dwarfs accept frozan mysis?
Old 01-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

They may they may that is not an answer u can give a def yes or no question to. I would def guess that they would at least bother them. If this tank is attached to ur 150 how much flow u have thru it?
Old 01-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I really dont know what the pump is rated for but it is very weak so I added like a 300gph powerhead to it. Its pretty powerful but I could move it. Do you know if the horses would accept frozen brinse/mysis? I could get bigger sea horses if needed to make the clowns act better towards them. I also heard that they only eat baby brine so could I get other horses?
Old 01-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

No matter how big they are the clowns are much faster stronger more aggressive fish so if there gonna go after then the size wont matter. The frozen shrimp I think that will be on an indivual basis whether they take it or not. Ask to see them eat before you get them. And they prb wont like that power head in there.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can move the PH. I could use it in my sump to get more flow across the LR. Wouldnt they be less likely to pick on bigger ones though? And thx for the help so far. Do the dwarfs only eat live brine or will they eat frozen?

Tags
seahorse, seahorses

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com