Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-26-2014, 12:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

SeaLife LEDs

I've got a LFS near me that is strictly SW. Although I don't know much on the SW side of the hobby and am doing a lot of research, I went in with a couple loaded questions and gained their trust immediately. They gave the exact answers to the questions with no added bs or beating around the bush. Free pointers all the way around and very eager to help or share stories.

So now all reading this can get the idea, as I said my SW experience and knowledge is very limited. The owner has come up with his own brand/design of lighting and they're in use all over the store. They are a little pricey for me (I'll go look back and post $$) but I'm looking for some feedback on what the experienced reefers think about them. Here's the link, thanks in advance : SeaLife LEDs - About Us

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

It doesn't say what brand of led they're using. Also the cost is missing. The bells and whistles of the lights are nice but not needed. You can get a two channel dimmable 165w full spectrum light on eBay for 90 to 120 dollars they will cover 2' of the tank and support just about any coral

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 09-26-2014, 01:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

There is a led thread going on in the nano section that is really giving great advice on this subject.

LED lights

Hope that helps you make a educated decision

Old 09-26-2014, 03:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you have access to the actual builder of the LEDs, I'd simply ask what type of LED lights he is using. Bridgelux are good, and Cree are the best. Ask the efficiency of the bulbs as well (in lumen per watt). Again, the best are exceeding 100+ Lumen per watt. Finally you want to know how many watts the drivers are capable of. A 180watt driver limited to 120 watts by the controller has better heat dissipation capability, and therefore a better life expectancy than a 120W driver driven to 100%
Old 09-26-2014, 05:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Unfortunately the ad provides zero information. Before I buy any fixture I want to know the following:

How many LEDs and their driven wattage. This is must have information.

Does it use lenses and what kind of coverage is available.

If you know the PAR number is high, clue us in.

Is it reparable domestically?

Otherwise, you haven't a clue what you're buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 09-26-2014, 05:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms705jk View Post
It doesn't say what brand of led they're using. Also the cost is missing. The bells and whistles of the lights are nice but not needed. You can get a two channel dimmable 165w full spectrum light on eBay for 90 to 120 dollars they will cover 2' of the tank and support just about any coral

I agree it doesn't say what brand of LEDs they are using and I will find that out over the next 24 hours and provide an update in that regard. As to the price, perhaps you misunderstood the part where I said "(I'll go look back and post)" but as of yet I haven't gotten that far since work interrupted my day, lol. I agree whole heartedly about the bells and whistles being nice but not needed. It just seems everywhere you turn around these days, that's what's directly targeted to the consumer.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Unfortunately the ad provides zero information. Before I buy any fixture I want to know the following:

How many LEDs and their driven wattage. This is must have information.

Does it use lenses and what kind of coverage is available.

If you know the PAR number is high, clue us in.

Is it reparable domestically?

Otherwise, you haven't a clue what you're buying.

You're exactly right Greg. The main page holds no info relative to any of the items you've listed. However, on that main page in the upper left corner are three horizontal bars for the menu. That brings you to the other pages and I wrongly presumed folks could navigate it. My apologies. Here is the link to the second page I'm speaking of and hopefully this will help out.

http://sealifeleds.com/reefcrest-led-series.html?m

On my last visit, I was informed by one of the partners that they would be in the next issue (4th quarter) of Reef Hobbyist Magazine. I don't know if it's a feature article or just an advertisement but we'll all know soon enough.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

SeaLife LEDs

Those are low power units and the PAR numbers back this up. It would grow hard corals in a shallow tank perhaps. How much are they?

Old 09-26-2014, 10:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haven't gotten there for prices yet. See post 6.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:41 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

If you like them, buy them. I would just be conservative as to how much depth penetration and coverage they have.

Tags
led, sea, seal

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com