Seawater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr.diggler

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can you use water from the atlantic ocean in the new york region for a tank that consists of tangs and damels and other inverts. Reason being a LFS sells nutri seawater which from what the told me was just bottled water from the atlantic ocean

I don't see why not, provided it is collected from an area without pollution. I would test it and see what the CA and ALK levels were prior to using it.

It should either be aged for a period of two weeks with strong aeration or sterilized in another fashion before using it in your tank. There are all kinds of nasty buggers in NSW that your tank will probably not be able to cope with. Also, this will give any planktonic organisms time to die off so they don't pollute the tank.

Living here in Panama City Florida, I dream about setting up a system that would allow me to simply draw NSW right out of the Gulf and use in in my system. But for now, salt mixes are much easier to use.

Back
Top Bottom