securing corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

badfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, i thought it might happened, people told me it might happen, guess what, it happened. My urchins keep on knocking over my star polyps. Whats the best way to secure? I heard crazy glue. Is this process correct?
1- remove corals and rock, pat dry rock, and back of coral,
2- apply some glue to rock and coral and glue together.
3- allow glue to dry for 1 minute

is that it? How long can they be out of water?

Thanks,

- Jeff

There is also this type of epoxy putty that is designed to be used in aquarium. Just mold it, stick it on the bottom of the plug then onto its main rock.

can this crazy glue gel be purchased at walmart or similar store? I saw that epoxy you were talking about as well, but the fish store that had it was 45 minutes away, and dont feel like going that far to get it. Thanks to both of you.

Crazy glue gel needs to say cyanoacrylate as an ingredient. I have bought it just about every where super glue is sold. For rock to rock glueing the putty works well and can be broken off if you ever decide to move the rock :)

Super glue gel for coral to rock glueing. Shrooms and leathers don't glue well though.

i would say no....if u have to mix 2 to make it that there is a chemical reaction which could be very very bad for critters in the tank
i wouldnt risk it

i went to walmart and got Duro Quick Gel (it contains cyanoacrylate) but does not say anything about being able to use under water, do you think i can use it underwater? I found the stuff in the black tube, but it was the liquid. I would rather be able to do it in tank.

anyone? i guess ill take it out if no one responds in the next half hour. My question is can i use the Duro quick Gel underwater, without taking coral and rock out of tank?

Thanks.

One last question, then ill leave you guys alone, Can the Coral be removed from the rock after glued, (if coral dies, or i want to move it), or do i have to get rid of the rock? Will i have to keep on gluing it down as it grows?

Just remove the rock and coral and glue them. After you press together, place them back in the water. Don't know how easy it would be trying to glue under water. I use a small tupperware bowl sometimes to place them while glueing.

If a coral dies, you can always use a razor blade to scrape it off but scavengers will normally do that for you.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom