Securing Frags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nycfatcow

Aquarium Advice Freak
mypolyps frags keep on falling to the ground is there any way of securing them? Some people said super gluing them onto my LR? WHat if i just leave it a lone will it attach itsenf onto a rock? Also my Green star polyp is just on a rock...should i glue it down? What type of glue are you guys talking about? and where can i get some?

I also just got frags from Ellisz. I glued mine with superglue gel per his instructions and they are doing great. My wife was holding a baster of water. As soon as I placed it she squirted it with aquarium water then I placed it back in the water. I glued mine on pieces of base rock I have chipped off so I could place them better. Some of my LR is over two feet long and is just to big to pull out and glue frags to. HTH

what kind of frags are you trying to secure? For sps I use superglue but for softies and mushrooms it can be a little tricky. Try tieing them to a rock and placing them in a low current part of the tank. I have also had luck with placing a jar in the tank with some small pices of LR in the bottom. in a day or so they will attach. good luck

I like epoxy myself. I forget the brand, but it is made specifically for aquariums and cures under water. It's very easy to work with and has never caused any negative effects in my tank. It's good for bonding rock to rock and stony corals to rock.

hmmm im trying to secure my polyps. The polyp frags fell last time and fell to the back of the rocks...i riped my whole tank apart to find them...So i wanna secure them to a rock. Where do i get this glue? Is it necessary to glue it?

needs to containe cyanoacrylate. Never really seen any without it though. For zoos, super glue gel is the easiest. They will attach on their own but frag have a way of falling down cracks or holes.

As for the GSP, you can use some epoxy to attach it to a bigger rock or just place it on the rocks or even in the sand. If will eventually grow past that rock and onto anything near it. In the sand it will just spread out like grass. Easy to frag like that ;)

I was hesitant to use glue on the softies, so I used a small rubberband with my Kenya tree frag. I placed the base in a crevice of a small piece of rubble and then put the rubber band over it. It attached within 3 days and I cut the rubberband.

why do you think it would be bad? You can use it to seal a cut on your finger?

I don't really the scientific reason for it but I know I have used it and Anthony Calfo has used it. What ever works for him, will work for me. He has fragged more than I ever will.

SOme corals just slime too much for it to work. Zoos have never given me problems. Leathers are shrooms are another story ...

I've used superglue gel too. Make sure it's gel though, but also be careful...it hardeds *really* fast underwater. :) It's a good idea to have small rubble around (dry rubble) to use as a base to glue onto. Then if you wanted to, you could use the purple expoxy stuff to put the rubble on the rock you wanted.

The xenia I had that wasn't attached to anything, I think I put a rock on top of the "foot" and it attached, but it takes a couple days for that to happen.

-j

ahh the link doesnt work...so for the unnecessaty posts.....its adhesive epoxy?

Back
Top Bottom