securing pump in sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kukki

Aquarium Advice Regular
i got my mag 5 today, wow lol that thing is a beast and its not even half of the bigger ones =)

i did not get my overflow with the same shipment, drop-shipped =\ .. so i want to go ahead and get my pump in there and pipe it into my tank. how do you secure it in the tank tho it keep it from shifting around or so it does not rattle on the bottom? or will it?..

i dont have everything set up yet and since i dont have an overflow there is no sense in turning on my pump and watching my tank water spill out all over the floor :) i figure its going to shift around if its not secured well, or at least hum or rattle pretty loud if its not put in well

so i was wondering what you all use to secure it with ... silicone? that would make it alittle difficult to take back out if there was a problem .. cant think of anything else, i cant drill any holes or anything either

oh and upon fruther inspection i see the base slides off.. i was wondering how you would put screws in it without being able to remove it, lol! where is my brain today! ... anywyas, i guess you could silicone that in and still be able to remove the pump or is that bad?

When you get your pluming attached, the pump should just stay put. I don't secure my Mag 9.5 with anything other than some bubble wrap plastic stuff on the bottom to keep vibration noise down... it never moves anywhere at all

Plum everything up, and see if you can put something underneath the pump to keep it from rattling around. You're right... silicon will make things bad if you need to take it out... and for me, that is often for cleaning. HTH

bubble wrap hmm... what size, well ... thickness?... id assume pretty thin stuff, does not seem like that stuff would be aquarium safe, i guess so :)

:lol: I'm not sure if it is safe or not... but it was just the plain packaging bubble wrap that the pump came in... just a sliver (not a huge piece). Pretty thin stuff. I assume you could use anything else that won't leech chemicals into your tank.

mine came ghetto style with paper =(. lol

i wonder if a little square piece of filter floss or some kinda filter pad would be ok, i dont reallly want something that might build up stuff and cause extra nitrates or something tho =(

Filter floss would work great! I need to get some of that... I'm going to clean my system out today... might have to make a purchase. Let us know what ya end up doing! 8)

im for sure getting some filter floss tomorrow when im out... unless i see something that sounds better to use while at the LFS.. i just ran the pipes and clear tubing and all for my pump.. pvc up thru the back of the stand and then clear tube up to the top and pvc'ed in...

and your very right its very very stable lol.. just need that floss!

Back
Top Bottom