Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2004, 10:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Sediment on bottom of tank

I seem to have alot of sediment on the bottom of my tank right now and I was trying to find out how to get rid of it without sucking up the sand, or it is okay to leave in the tank? Thanks for your help. Debster

Old 02-28-2004, 10:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Take a turkey baster and blast the sand bed along with your LR if you have any....this will stir up all the ditrius and other junk that has settled and get it into the water column. Once in the water, your skimmer and or filters will do the rest. As a matter of fact, I just did that to my tank about 5 min ago It will leave your tank cloudy for an hour or 2 but it will be nice and clear after. When you are blasting the sand, just do it hard enough to stir up the top layer of junk

Old 02-28-2004, 10:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks I'll try that now and also do the LR . Debster
Old 02-28-2004, 10:23 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
If your careful you can also syphon the sediment off your sand bed by using a small hose. Maybe 5/8" in diamater and hold it above the sand bed and slowly lower it till the sediment starts to be collected.

Its a very fine line between being to far away and to close.

What kind of sediment is this? There really should not be much on the sand bed unless you have a problem with water current or sand sifters.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 10:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

It is a light brown sediment. The water current seems pretty good but maybe I need more sand sifters. I have been using the Kent Marine Tech-CB Calcium Buffer in the morning and when I put part B in it actually clumps instead of just being cloudy then it settles on the sand before it dissipates so I don't know if that is part of my problem since it has only just started last week and I've had my 92 gallon tank since last April. Debster

Tags
bottom, dim, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com