Sediment on bottom of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debster

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I seem to have alot of sediment on the bottom of my tank right now and I was trying to find out how to get rid of it without sucking up the sand, or it is okay to leave in the tank? Thanks for your help. Debster :?

Take a turkey baster and blast the sand bed along with your LR if you have any....this will stir up all the ditrius and other junk that has settled and get it into the water column. Once in the water, your skimmer and or filters will do the rest. As a matter of fact, I just did that to my tank about 5 min ago :wink: It will leave your tank cloudy for an hour or 2 but it will be nice and clear after. When you are blasting the sand, just do it hard enough to stir up the top layer of junk :wink:

If your careful you can also syphon the sediment off your sand bed by using a small hose. Maybe 5/8" in diamater and hold it above the sand bed and slowly lower it till the sediment starts to be collected.

Its a very fine line between being to far away and to close.

What kind of sediment is this? There really should not be much on the sand bed unless you have a problem with water current or sand sifters.

It is a light brown sediment. The water current seems pretty good but maybe I need more sand sifters. I have been using the Kent Marine Tech-CB Calcium Buffer in the morning and when I put part B in it actually clumps instead of just being cloudy then it settles on the sand before it dissipates so I don't know if that is part of my problem since it has only just started last week and I've had my 92 gallon tank since last April. Debster

Back
Top Bottom