Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-19-2006, 11:30 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

First let me add That I love this thing...way cool stuff collected in the cup.I'm quite suprised as well as pleased.Glad I researched it for as long as I did...I would imagine there are better ones out there,but it aint easy.Doing great so far....helping with the "brownage"in a big way.

Reef bound...would you say the repacement material is more or less corse/porous?If its more so (harder,more holes) I may have something here that will work already.

Also What about a box for true skimming?Can they be bought?The thing is doing great suspended,but the surface is not involved at all....perhaps one can be built to insure the pumps supply is from the top....but in this case it would have to be a big one to house the pump as its not a wee thing.

90g SW FOWLR
50g tall fw planted at .6wpg
29g fw planted at 1.2 wpg
10g fw planted at 3 wpg cf
SCFatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 12:10 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFatz
Reef bound...would you say the repacement material is more or less corse/porous?If its more so (harder,more holes) I may have something here that will work already.

The replacment has more smaller holes to break up the fine bubbles.

Also What about a box for true skimming?Can they be bought?The thing is doing great suspended,but the surface is not involved at all....perhaps one can be built to insure the pumps supply is from the top....but in this case it would have to be a big one to house the pump as its not a wee thing.

Buy? why buy when you can DIY, I guess you can build an acrylic box with some routed teeth and enclose the pump so the water overflow into the pump area.
If I was to do this I would use the smoked acrylic so you couldnt see the pump. It really wouldnt be that large, would be longer than wider.and to attach it to the tank you could use some silicone to hold it in place or figure a way to incorporate the adjuster from the bubble diffuser so you can adjust the hight of the "skimmer box"

Old 09-03-2006, 09:02 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Great thread.
Just got mine after replacing the hunk o junk seaclone which the salesman at Petsmart warned me against buying.
I just love the idea of extending the discharge tube. Never thought of that.

As is, the whole thing while working ain't pretty.

A couple of questions.

1.) Why is it better to have the skimmer pump nearer the surface?

2.) Where you have plumbed in the extra air pump, I actually did the opposite because it was spouting water when I was running the skimmer with the admittedly godawful looking bubble trap. How would adding air there quadruple your bubbles?

Jeff
Old 09-03-2006, 09:25 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

PS I know this is a bit of an ignorant question, but how dangerous are the negible amount of bubbles shown in the above pictures. I can't seem to get less than that. Before I used the trap (as it seemed to backwash out the nubbin on the exhaus--it took me a while to figure out the airline trick) I killed a Brittle Star that I had for years. Disgusting eater. Would puke everything up before every meal. I liked him though. We called him Patrick. Jeff
Old 09-07-2006, 08:21 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just got the same skimmer as we are talking about here, quick question. I can not get the water level where the bubbles start to form in the main chamber to drop below the cone. The lowest I can get it is at the top of the cone. Anyway, what can I do to lower the water level in the main chamber? The red button is turned down to the lowest level and the pump valve is closed to the point if I lower it any more bubbles stop forming. TIA......
Old 09-11-2006, 04:49 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Bump...looks like I missed a question or two I may have been able to help with....sry bout that,I'd imagine they have been answered elsewhere by now.

90g SW FOWLR
50g tall fw planted at .6wpg
29g fw planted at 1.2 wpg
10g fw planted at 3 wpg cf
SCFatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:30 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Squado, make sure your output hose isn't too deep in the bubble box - if you block the flow in there at all, it'll force water higher towards the collection cup and kill the ability to get good skimmate. Try removing your bubble box entirely, and see if you can get a good setting. Then add it back. You might have to trim the hose that drops into the bubble box, I did at first.

I don't even use a bubble box anymore - but I'm using mine in a sump. No bubble problem at all.

180G All-glass with dual megaflows in a custom stand
AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
Custom acrylic sump from GlassCages.com
2xPCX-40 return pumps
2x250MH 14K, 2x175MH 14K - PFO lighting, 2x65W PC
No-name 36W UV
Water General 125GPH RO/DI
Filstar XP3
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 01:52 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I finally got it to get a minimal amount of bubbles. There is still some from the overflow comming from the bubble diffuser. Are bubbles actually bad for a reef or are they just unsightly. TIA.....
Old 09-15-2006, 03:56 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Are bubbles actually bad for a reef or are they just unsightly? TIA
I am curious too. The sump option, at least here, is not an option.
Jeff

Tags
coral, coralife, pics, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com