Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2006, 04:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

See if I got this right (coralife skimmer pics) ((new pics))

As you can see I started getting some brown stuff right away...not real suprising as i have a small,but recurring brown algea problem.I did have running too fast at first and I collected what you see in about 15 minutes.I slowed it a little and think I have found good pace for now.

The problem is more about the second pic.I followed the instructions to a T,so I guess thats how its supposed to look....the problem is it looks terrible.Not very easy on the eyes at all.I suppose what I discibing is the need for a sump lol.

Also the the way its configured the water return is just above the pump intake..seems like if they were farther a part it would work better...maybe not.

Over all I'm happy with it so far.I fit under the canopy and is very quiet.

Anyone see any issues...as in is it good to go or should I do something different?

90g SW FOWLR
50g tall fw planted at .6wpg
29g fw planted at 1.2 wpg
10g fw planted at 3 wpg cf
SCFatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
Cut the tube that connects the pump to the skimmer. The instruction does say to leave it about 8in but in reality, the shorter the better. The pump should be 1 or 2 inches under the water surface

Old 08-17-2006, 05:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

raise that pump like FishFrik said...it will work better.also I have the same skimmer and this is what I did to mine to get the bubble diffuser away from the pump so I could raise it up. also if you look at the pump muffler as I call it you will see another air tube, I hooked an air pump to it and it quadrupled the amount of bubbles in there.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the replies guys.

Reefbound it looks like your just hard plumbed the discharge to the other side if the tank.I like that idea and I suppose I will have to do that if I want to raise the pump...other wise it won't fit...or at least it won't fit well.

Mine is the 125.It looks like the pvc would be 3/4 ''...is that right?

90g SW FOWLR
Old 08-17-2006, 06:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFatz
Thanks for the replies guys.

Reefbound it looks like your just hard plumbed the discharge to the other side if the tank.I like that idea and I suppose I will have to do that if I want to raise the pump...other wise it won't fit...or at least it won't fit well.

Mine is the 125.It looks like the pvc would be 3/4 ''...is that right?
No its 1 inch with 1" elbows.... and its NOT glued in place so you can remove for cleaning. Its a very snug fit so no glue needed and it doesnt leak.

edit: also Ive noticed even less bubbles in the tank since this mod...
Old 08-17-2006, 06:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cool...I'll going to head out in a minute and pick some up.Thanks for the post and the pic.

One new concern is now I have a little stream of little bubbles coming out of the pump itself....out of the lower front "corner".
To be expected?

90g SW FOWLR
Old 08-17-2006, 06:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFatz
Cool...I'll going to head out in a minute and pick some up.Thanks for the post and the pic.

One new concern is now I have a little stream of little bubbles coming out of the pump itself....out of the lower front "corner".
To be expected?
If your talking about the impeller cover that should stop after a while ,mine did, I guess the rubber seal around there needs time. The pipe I picked up was Grey shedule 40...almost a perfect color match...
Old 08-17-2006, 07:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
If your talking about the impeller cover that should stop after a while ,mine did, I guess the rubber seal around there needs time
Good to know.Thanks.

I just picked up three feet of one inch and a few elbows.I'll post a pic as well when I wrap it all up.

EDIT!

Finished!!Much better look too.Here are a few shots of the top.

There is also one of the whole tank,but the tank and camera do not get a long so thats the best I can do....But the pump is far left,the return is far right.

Thanks again reefbound for the pics and the posts...Aquarium Advice in action I tell ya!!From question to completion for three bucks and another hour or so...gotta love it.

90g SW FOWLR
Old 08-17-2006, 10:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nice job folks!
Old 08-18-2006, 08:24 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Glad you like it. I was going to move my bubble trap to the other side also like you did but I have an Emporer 400 that Im in the process of removing that on that side. I have one other tip for you...from you last pic I see some bubbles flowing out of your bubble trap what I did to stop them was replace the included sponges with a sponge from a Magdrive pump and cut to fit and now I have 0 bubbles in my tank. The only thing is I have to clean the sponge weekly to keep it flowing good.

Tags
coral, coralife, pics, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com