Seeded media not working in QT!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishN00b83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I've had this sponge sitting in my biocube (3rd chamber) for a good 6 months. I bought a 6 line wrasse on Monday and put the sponge in the QT filter (QT is only 5.5 g). I noticed today that the wrasse hasn't eaten his food from the night before (weird because he's been eating like crazy). I went to test the ammonia and it started turning green. I immediately got a container and started acclimating to get him in the DT.

My question is why the hell is the ammonia rising? I had that filter media in the for EVER. What could of happened here?

There is only so much bacteria in the sponge and a small sponge isn't going to consume all the ammonia produced. You'll still have to so water changes, I'd assume even daily with some of the really small tanks.

So what should I keep in my sump for my QT next time? I thought I was all prepared and ready to do things the right way...then this happened. It was a good sized sponge, but apparently it wasn't enough? What should I pick up tomorrow so this doesn't happen again?

The sponge will help with the bacteria and lessen the water changes, but won't replace them in a QT setup. Someone else might chime in with other advice, but this is how I look at it.

I always thought if you had enough established stuff from one tank to another you wouldn't have a cycle...is this not true? Like if I had a big bag of rings or bio balls and sit them in the sump. Then took them out when I got a new fish and put it in the QT, I'd still get an ammonia spike?

The sponge is just a start. Remember the bacteria live everywhere in an established tank. Sides and bottom, sand, rocks, filter pipes and impeller blades. Everywhere. The sponge is a start, but not going to replace everything. You can also put your small pieces of PVC pipe that you use for hidey holes in the sump while waiting.

Also over feeding will cause ammonia, or feeding and the fish not eating it.

I always had problems with flake food, so if you are using that try a different higher quality pelleted food. (though i am speaking for the ? of ammonia, not the diet of a line wrasse)

I only feed NLS pellets. All my fish have been accepting is so far. They don't seem to break down in the water, but I can see over feeding being an issue

Back
Top Bottom